Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi part deformable cable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vball85jb

Military
Jun 27, 2011
US
I have some questions hopefully someone with more NX/Teamcenter experience can help out. All I got was crickets on the Siemens forum. We want to define some commercial parts, for this example a RF cable 12" long with sma connectors on each end. We do a lot of cabling so this cable or others similar will be used in hundreds of various configurations.

Is it possible to have a deformable assembled cable and use the electrical routing path to define the cable as well as the mating location of the two end connectors.

In reviewing online training (using the brake line as the deformable cable) it only is the tube. Do you make the tube the commercial part and add the connectors to the assembly? In this case how do you define the BOM since it is driven from the CAD data for the two files since the connectors should really be at the commercial part level?

I tried creating the cable as a sub-assembly part constraining the connectors to the ends of the deformable cable but when I put this part into the NHA the cable routes correctly but the two ends are located in space on the xyz coordinates from the sub assembled level.

Or vis versa if you use exclusively the electrical routing how do you define all the new parts as just variations of one commercial part?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have much experience with deform so I don't know if this will work but you might try associating the connectors to creation data for the tube instead of the tube itself. (associative points and planes etc)

I tried doing a hydraulic hose + fittings (basically the same as your example by the sound of it) and I got it to work by creating the first connector, the hose and the second connector as separate bodies (by setting the Boolean option between them to None) in the same part file and then making that deformable.

In the parent assembly, you will need to create your hose/cable guide curve at an offset from the surface it connects to by a distance equal to the length of your connector.

Hope this helps? I might be able to dig out the example, given a bit of time.

Cheers,

Jon

JHTH
NX 7.5.5 + TC 8.3.2.2

I have dealt with hose assemblies, but without the advantage of the routing application. The strategy was:[ol 1][li]create a hose subassembly[/li][ol a][li]model a straight length of hose in the subassembly (or add it as a component if desired)[/li][li]add the 2 end connectors as components[/li][li]create reference set that contains only the connectors[/li][/ol][li]add hose subassembly to assembly file (connectors only)[/li][ol a][li]constrain first connector to proper hookup location[/li][li]use position override to constrain end connector to proper location[/li][li]create tube solid (in assembly file) to represent the routed hose[/li][/ol][/ol]
Using this method, the hose subassembly will show up properly in the BOM and each assembly will have its own unique hose routing.

If you think a particular routing configuration will be reused, you could use an ALTREP to save that particular hose shape to its own file.

Again, I didn't have access to the routing application, so I don't know how it would have changed the workflow.

www.nxjournaling.com

Good info, I will try some of these processes to see if they will work well in our application. JurgenKreisel the thread link did not work, "ERROR - The page you tried to access was not found on the server. It may have been moved or deleted."

Thank you for your advice and help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back