Multi-State PDH

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauce_man

Structural
Apr 14, 2020
US
Hello,

New to the PE community (and eng-tips). I am working on applying for my second license. I am wondering if there are any nuances about PDHs. If each state requires a certain amount will they double count? I do not want to get locked into a crazy amount of PDH requirements. I welcome any other multi state tips as weill. TIA.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While every state is different, (some might except something as credit while others might not) in general getting 30 PDH's with 2 of those being ethics in a two year period (15 per year) will meet most of the state boards' requirements. Those 30 PDH's can be applied to each state you are registered in as long as it is something they would normally accept. You won't all of the sudden need 60 PDH's instead of 30.

Agree with dauwerda,

I'm licensed in over 20 states and usually have about 40 pdh's a year. The ethics is tough sometimes but our local one-day annual structural conference usually provides at least 1 hour of ethics. The other I get usually online.

You just have to research each state's requirements and see what you need.....but, in general, about the worse you can run into are states like Illinois, New York, North Carolina, etc, etc. If you meet their requirements.....you are typically good to go elsewhere. (And yes, the right PDHs may be good for multiple states.)

In general, what me being registered in some of the aforementioned states means is: I have to hunt down (every year or two) 20 hrs of live webinars (from a pre-approved provider). That can be pricey depending on what you do. (I've satisfied it sometimes by going to ASCE's face to face seminars.) There is a thread going right now on this board where you can get a free webinar from AISC.

But with some other states, you can get by with a self administered course on sites like pdhonline.com.

Just depends on where you are registered.

While most states are very similar - either 15 pdh per year or 30 pdh every two years, about a dozen are oddballs with various ethics course requirements (no state I know of will allow carryover of ethics hours) and various renewal cycles. If you have NY then you probably won't have to do too much more. NY is more restrictive on "allowable" course providers, but only requires 12 hours per year on a 3 year cycle. I highly recommend you go through NCEES so that if you ever want to do more states, they'll have all of your references and transcripts filed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back