Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Multi-story office building with open parking levels on lower floors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedent

Structural
Aug 13, 2006
US
I am advising a client who owns a multi-story office building with open parking levels on lower floors. Above the uppermost parking level there is a drop ceiling concealing the HVAC/plumbing/etc services for the office floor above. The ceiling system must have never been designed to support the wind pressures because the tiles keep getting sucked out. We discussed installing grills in leui of some of the cieling panels, but the space is insulated. We need to step back and come up with some more alternatives.

As a structural engineer, I understand the science behind this, but I don't really have the mechanical vocabulary to discuss the issue with HVAC engineers. We have some structural solutions in mind, but I would like to know if there are any Mechanical Solutions that may be more cost effective. I am sure this issue arrises in the HVAC/ceiling design for new construction as well. Does anyone know of a guide/reference on the subject?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sometimes there are grid ceilings with clips in place for sever rooms with fire suppression gas.

With FM200 the tiles stay in place, Inergen or Argonite will blow them out.

Take the "V" out of HVAC and you are left with a HAC(k) job.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Install barometric pressure relief dampers in some tile spaces that will equalize the pressure above and below the tiles to minimize lift.

2) Use high density tiles. I know they make gypsum board backed tiles with a vinyl facing. You could stack tiles on top of each other so that the tile weight is greater than the force exerted by the wind pressure.

If it were me, I would do both of these options for a belt & suspenders solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back