Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multilin 369 Fail Safe vs Non Fail Safe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

multilinnoob

Electrical
Nov 27, 2015
US
Hello Everyone!

I am looking to upgrade my Multilin 269+ motor protection relay with the newer Multilin 369 relay. While analyzing the drawings, I observed that presently, the 269+ is wired up such that the normally closed contacts 30 and 31 feed the motor main contactor (M).

I am unsure if this is programmed to be a fail safe (FS) or a non fail safe (NFS), so I do not know what will happen on loss of control power. However, I do know that if there is an undervoltage condition, the relay will trip out.

I am not certain what I should assign as my relay trip contacts in 369. From the user manual, I understand that a FS contact changes state when power is lost to the relay, while a NFS contact does not.

So, how do I choose my trip relay contacts? NO or NC, which ones should be FS or NFS?

Also, if say I assign the NC trip contact as FS, then will it change state when powered up?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A FS relay is powered-on when there are no trips. Then, it is powered-off if there is a trip or if the power fails. Your present relay uses a closed contact in the circuit. So, use FS and NO contact or use NFS and NC contact. The choice really depends on your particular application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back