Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiline text in acad2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GdrCad

Mechanical
May 14, 2003
US
Hi, I’m trying to add multiline text in a dwg. After I specify the space for the text I start typing and I can barley see the letters.
Also the text will wrap in the editor but when I ad it to the dwg its all one line.
The text style is set to standard and the font is set to RomanS.shx and the properties are not set to “no wrap”. This happens in all of my dwgs and when I start a new one. When I change the font to Arial I can see the text as I’m typing but I need to use RomanS.shx and it still wont wrap in the specified space.
So I reinstalled AutoCAD and it’s still the same. Anybody have any ideas as to what’s wrong and how I might fix it.

Thanx Greg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

...or is the text direction set to vertical? You can check this in the properties box (ctrl+1). Make sure it's set to horiz (not by style).

After issuing the multiline text command pick the first corner then select the Width option (type W) and enter 0 (zero). The text editor will now start and your can specify where the text "wraps" by pressing "enter".

That, or stretch the mutliline text box larger.

""shabba (Mechanical)
Is the txt frame changing shape in the drawing?
Try selecting it and pulling the righthand side over with the blue grips.
...or is the text direction set to vertical? You can check this in the
properties box (ctrl+1). Make sure it's set to horiz (not by style)."""

It was set to "by style" in the properties box and this doesnt make
a difference... when i start a new dwg the default is "by style. and it stll wont wrap
unless i hit return. i tried horizontal and it acts the same. i changed it to vertical and
its all going in one vertical line.

""billtati (Mechanical)
After issuing the multiline text command pick the first corner then
select the Width option (type W) and enter 0 (zero). The text editor
will now start and your can specify where the text "wraps" by pressing "enter".
That, or stretch the mutliline text box larger."""

I tried this method and theres still no difference... the only way the text will wrap
is if i hit enter... with the other problem of not being able to see what i'm typeing in the
editor, i can't even see where to hit enter. :-(

1st i thought my dwg was messed up so i tried this on a new dwg. and it was the same
then i thought acad2000 was messed up so i reinstalled it and its still the same.
so then i installed acad14 and still the text doesn't wrap. now i'm going nuts.
so i installed a fresh copy of win2k and acad2000 on a totaly different computer
and i can see the text i'm typing in the editor but guess what... the text wont wrap
in the area i specified.

sorry for the long post and thanx for all the input guys.

greg

ok, on the "new install" when you finish with the m-text and then get the properties, what does the m-text have for a width?

also when you are testing are you typing words with spaces or are you just holding down a key and letting it repeat so it will wrap, if you dont have spaces in between letters, then Acad will not break long lines of text (thinks it is one long word, bigger than the wrap width).

also list this un-wraping text and see what you get.

re-post with some details

Intel P4 1.7 GHZ
768 RDRAM
Win 2000 Pro
Autocad 14, 2002 with EP 2.3.1

Greg,

1. install at least service pack 3 for win 2000.

if still not working, and if you have express tools, expolde some existing m-text. then

express -> text -> convert text to mtext

then <enter> for options, make sure
&quot;create word-wrap M-text&quot; is checked

what happens now?

Intel P4 1.7 GHZ
768 RDRAM
Win 2000 Pro

Ozzy84,

The mtext works ok... i was testing it by holding down one letter and letting it wrap.
when i type with spaces it comes out fine... thanx for the tip. do you have any idea
why i can't see the letters wile i'm typing in the text editor? the letters look like they're
dark gray in color on the black editor backgound. its very hard to see. this is on a new
acad2000 install on a fully updated win2k computer. thanx for all the help guys. This forum is great!

greg

i believe that i had the same problem with M-text,

i think that the solution was one of the following:

1. install at least service pack 3 for win 2000.
(which you said you have)

2. upgrade the driver for your video card.

hope this helps

Intel P4 1.7 GHZ
768 RDRAM
Win 2000 Pro

If your mtext is a faint grey colour in the AutoCAD mtext editor box, go to your Win 2000 Control Panel, Display, Effects tab and uncheck the 'Smooth edges of screen fonts'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back