Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multimeter Options for Biomed Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roktgr

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2007
US
I need to purchase a digital multimeter for our biomed department and running up against a wall in finding information and reviews on various ones. It seem the Fluke 87-V (or 5) is very popular. Are they any others worth looking at or just use the Fluke? Saw some with a OLED screen but the reviews seems iffy on the product quality. Others that seems like a god unit but doesn't look like the company produces handhelds anymore. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are there any measurements that are very important in this department? Or will they use it for 'ordinary' measurements like V, ohms, capacitance, frequency?

Will it be used where liquids are likely to reach it?

Is sterilization part of life?

There are quite a few DMMs available. Fluke are good at advertising but look a bit further and you will find Agilent and others.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

I'm not sure right now what measurement it may need. I've only used the basic meters in the past and I'm having the feeling one of those "won't know you need it until you have it" situations. A couple of biomeds I have spoken with recommended the Fluke 87v so I guess whatever the equivalent is.

Liquids are possible but I'm not going to be doing anything in water or other fluids intentionality.

I had not considered sterilization, for the most part I would say no. Perhaps the leads if needed but most leads I have seen couple be sterilized without much of an issue.

This is a new area for me and I trying to find more information on what's typically needed. Yes Fluke is all over the place, I've looked at Agilent but finding any reviews on their equipment is tough. Tek(something) seemed to be another favorite but in looking at their page I'm not seeing any handheld meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back