Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Assembly Parts List in SE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjacc

Mechanical
Nov 13, 2002
US
Hi All,
This post started in thread1103-221577 (Drafting) and as requested I want to continue it here.

I have put in an IR to GTAC, but have not received an answer yet.

To Recap my Problem:
My company historically uses Multiple Assembly Parts Lists on our drawings. For example, an assembly has two variants that are the same except for the Battery Pack (lithium or alkaline) and Circuit Board (Lithium or alkaline). In the drawing Parts List we will have a "-1" and "-2" "QTY REQD" columns for two variants of the assembly. The Parts List shows all variant assembly items, but leaves the QTY REQD cell blank if not used in that variant.

If I have a two variant assembly with 30 parts and 2 that are different - it seems very wasteful (and silly) to have two separate assembly parts lists.

Solid Edge v20 has "Family of Parts Table", but no "FOA members Parts List". Which means I have to generate the "QTY REQD" column and add a parts list manually (very time consuming, and mistake prone). I've attached an image of what the PL looks like.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's almost exactly like our matrix BOM. The only difference is we don't have CAGE Code in its own column and we have the Find Number where Cage Code is.

Our methodology (call it a work around) is to create an extra Family of Assemblies member, we call it PL for convenience. In the PL member, we add components (with full assembly relationships) for every assembly configuration on the drawing. We use Display Configurations to hide/show parts per configuration.

On the drawing, we have the PL member on the face of the drawing for every drawing view and use the Display configuration for each member that we need to depict separately. We generate the BOM from this view/member as well.

Through this method, all parts used on all configuration show up in one BOM on the face of the drawing. The quantities are manually inserted. Because we insert the same member into each view, the balloons will always correspond (link) to the BOM.

--Scott

Next step:

Of course, we can't use a PL family member as a subassembly into another assembly because there would be too many additional components brought along for the ride. We create a specific -1, -3, -5, etc. family member for each drawing configuration. We use the PL member as the baseline and then delete the extra components from the dash member. It is the most painless way to manage FOA that I have been able to come up with.

The PL member with Display configuration for drawings.
An actual dash member based on the PL but with components removed to be used as subassemblies.

--Scott

I'd agree that through Scotts method, or maybe using non graphic assy as well you could get most columns more or less parametric except the Qty.

If they get back with an ER number let us know as I'd add myself to that one.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Thanks for the feedback Scott and Kenat.

GTAC finally got back to me and created an Enhancement Request (ER) for this:

ER 5656545

Please, please tell anyone remotely interested in this capability to add their names to this ER!

Regards,
Greg

ER 5656545 Text:
This custopmer frequently generates Draft files containing more than one assembly. They would like to be able to combine those assemblies into a single composite parts list in the Draft file.
Opened date: 28-nov-2006 07:29:06

In my IR, I basically stated what is in my first post (see above). I first requested this feature in November 2006, and have requested it again 15 July 2008.

Scott, To manually edit the PL, I unlink/ungroup the PL, then add rows/columns as needed, and change the text in the QTY columns. How do you manually edit the PL?

Regards,
Greg

We keep the PL linked to the assembly file and therefore have it automatically assign Find Numbers and fill in the data fields for Part Number, Title/Description, and Material/Specification columns.

For quantities, we just insert text boxes on the drawing face manually. That ends up being the hardest thing to check on the drawing.

--Scott

Thanks Scott.

From the GTAC newsgroup, there was a similar work-around:
Create a two custom properties "QTY-1" and "QTY-2" for each part.
Build a PL using these custom property columns for the -1 and -2 assembly quantities.
Then adjust custom field quantity QTY-1 and QTY-2 to be the correct values.

-Greg

A similar problem exists for parts lists for a client I am working for at the moment.
The first item in the BOM needs to be the assembly, then the parts start from item 2. It would be nice to be able to include the assembly, then its components in an indented type BOM.
At the moment we have to put the assembly in as text fields.
I think the BOM command in draft could do with a some enhancement in several ways.
I would also like to be able to add columns manually, not just have the ones from the model.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Greg,

That technique works on unique parts only. The moment you reuse a component in another assembly and it has a different quantity in the new assembly is the day that technique blows up in your face.

Example.
Part P1-1 is used on assembly A1-1 3 times.
Part P1-1 is used on assembly A1-2 3 times.
Therefore, the custom properties 'QTY-1" and "QTY-2" have their values set to 3 and the drawing BoM looks great.
But now P1-1 is used on assembly A2-1, but only 1 time. I create the drawing of assembly A2 and it shows a QTY of P1-1 equal to 3. If I change the customer property QTY-1 to "1", the A1's also changes to 1 instead of 3.

You have to put the quantity for each configuration manually on the drawing face. I have long request drawing specific BOM properties but have yet to get that implemented.

--Scott

Hi,

will the usage of 'Occurrence Properties' not help? There you
can override the 'Quantity' at the assembly level. So you can
have ASM-1 with Part-1 qty = 3 and ASM-2 with Part-1 qty =1
Downside: error prone can be forgotten to reset, and the
Mass as well as the CM/CV will be incorrect.

Even a qty of zero is now allowed (since V19?)

dy

DY-
The Occurrence Prop. only refers to the "Quantity" column of the drawing Parts List for a single assembly file. We're trying to find an effective way to display two column quantities for two variants of an assembly.

Scott - good point.

Don't forget to "add" yourselves to the Enhancement Request: ER 5656545. Maybe by the time I retire they'll have added it!
Regards,
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back