Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple dimensions in 1 line of text

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian2

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2002
CA
Dear Folks;

In SW2005 I have modelled a 3" header pipe with a series of 1" pipes welded perpendicularily to it.

The 1" pipes are controlled by a linear pattern. The idea is to vary the number of 1" pipes from 1 model of heat exchanger to the next.

On my drawing sheet, I insert model dimensions and have a dimension going from the first 1" pipe centerline to the last 1" pipe centerline.

What I would like the dimension text to show is the following: "x equal spaces @ y" = <DIM>"

I would like to insert dimension variable names from the linear pattern into the text so that the "x", the "y" and the "<DIM>" update as the number of pipes is changed.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this ?

Best Regards

Adrian Dunevein

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Adrian2

If your model is to be used very often, maybe you get more productivity in generating properties linked to dimension and parameters, like the diameters and pattern instances. These are then reused as a note composed of the desired properties on your 2D view.

Again, does make sense If you reuse this 3D model a lot, since doing this every time might get time consuming.

Good work.
Solidmold

I don't believe you can add the parameters into a dimension, but as Solidmold suggests, you can add them into a note. You do so simply by clicking on the dimensions & instance shown when creating the note.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

How about one dim that is per std?
i.e. "6X 1.0"
It means 6 eq spaces at 1.0 each.
As you add pipes, you change the "6X".

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)