Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple drop test in 1 analysis 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthat

Industrial
Jun 16, 2010
GB
i am modeling a helmet that needs to undergo 3 drop tests in one analysis
it needs to drop at a velocity 3m/s where i request the deceleration data, it then needs to drop 5.9m/s and then a third drop of 5.9m/s, how do i do this as i cant add a step after the 1st drop that will allow me to change the velocity of the helmet
any help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why do you need all 3 in 1 analysis? You will have to decelerate and accelerate to get to each drop velocity and direction. Why not just do 3 drops?

Rob Stupplebeen

i am attemting to model a helmet for an american polo standard where the helmet is dropped 3 times onto the same spot, after the 1st impact the eps liner deforms and the the protection to the head decreases, the next drop is faster at 5ms and yet again more deformation and less proetection. the head in the helmet needs the deceleration to be under a certain level for the helmet to be accredited with the standards. therefore 3 drops in one analysis
is there some way of stringing 3 tests together and keep the deformed helmet for each one or do the 3 drops in one tests to replicate this?

You can also do multiple steps without restarts. Just apply velocity boundary condition in a new step after each impact to prepare the helmet for the next impact, then remove the velocity boundary condition (in another step). You mentioned that you can't add a step where you change the velocity of the helmet. However, this kind of BC change is allowed in Abaqus.

It may get a little tricky if the helmet is allowed to rotate during impact. In that case preparing for the next impact will be a little harder but doable.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

elabbasi, i have done as you have suggestedbut now i have anew problem, after the helmet has impact once it goes back for the next impact but noe the helmet judt goes straight throught the impact surface as though its not there, or as though my general contact interaction no longer works, but it says it s still propagated through each impact

That's strange. Did you remove the velocity boundary condition before the second impact? Basically, you should apply the velocity BC, then remove it, and do both before the second impact occurs. Otherwise, the helmet will keep moving with the prescribed velocity (it's a boundary condition not an initial condition).

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Step, action
1, initial velocity
2, free fall on to surface 1
3, initial velocity turn off surface 1
4, free fall onto surface 2
5, initial velocity turn off surface 2
6, free fall onto surface 3
You may need to add an additional relocation step to orient and position the helmet reliably. I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Here's another description probably the same as Rob's:

Initial Step: Initial velocity of 3 m/s
Step 1: First impact with surface
Step 2: Velocity BC of 5.9 m/s to prepare helmet for second impact
Step 3: Remove velocity BC, impact second surface
Step 4: Velocity BC of 5.9 m/s to prepare helmet for third impact
Step 5: Remove velocity BC, impact third surface

this works, thanks guys
exactly as you said
1 initial 3.42ms
2 drop 1