Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple duplicate 3d model's linked to 2d model. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooggle

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2001
US

Is there any way, either front door or behind the scenes, to get rid of multiple duplicate 3d model links on a 2d CATIA document. I know how to prevent it but I do not know how to get rid of unwanted links after the fact. I was given ownership of a document that has several duplicate links and would like nothing better than to get rid of all but one. The document has 38 views on it with around 500 dimensions and I really do not want to have to recreate all the views and dimensions just to clean up the multiple links. I there a way to do this without the hassle of recreating.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I use the /links command it tells me there are seven identical links to the single 2d drawing. I need to know if there is a way to delete the duplicate links. I know how the duplicates were created, but I don't know how to delete them. When creating the views if you do not allow the auxview2-analyse command the chance to finish the update process it will create multiple links. You have no way of knowing the links are duplicated until you go back in and do the / links command again. I used Autocad for eight years and have used Catia for about two years. The only good thing I can say about Catia is it's 3d capabilities are fantastic, but the down side is it's 2d. The software is not user friendly at all and it's dimensioning and text are the worst I have ever seen. I have used several Cad pachages and Catia is terrible when it comes to 2d. Sorry about going on a tangent conversation, but back to the original subject...Do you know of a way to delete these extra model links? If you try to add them passive the system will run out of memory. The only way that I know to get around a system crash is to manually load the models passive, do a split screen, and change all the links to use the same model. Thats the only way that I can keep from running my Catia scope in the ground with all the links going at the same time. I have 256 meg of ram but it quickly uses that up when I have the links loaded useing the /links - load model passive method. This is a very large model with a complicated 2d drawing consisting of 39 various views on three drafts. If it were considerably smaller I would not hesitate to recreate the views from scratch to rid myself of the extra links, but that isn't an option here. It would take several days to recreate the documents and I don't have the time to do that. If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Cooggle,

At my previous employer, we used the Overlay Function,
so I can't help you on this. If you have CatHelp installed, you
should be able to find info on deleting links. The other resource
is the IBM Hotline.

Incidently, I was a Catia user that was introduced to AutoCAD
as a secondary software to be used for "Tooling". I felt the same
way you did - about AutoCAD not having the 2D functions like
CATIA did.

But, we are not here to argue one package's merits above the other's.
You just learn how to do the best job with what you have.

Metricman

Hi Cooggle,

I'm a CATIA user for about 8yrs now. I also have seen these duplicate links. But I don't care since they do not harm your model. Or do they in your case? In my experience I've seen people who have "cleaned" their model to death.
Personally I would be happy with your "mega-drawing" as it is. This saves time, money and your nerves.

Have a nice day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back