Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Multiple (more than 2) Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

TateJ

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2002
US
Anybody running 3 or more monitors? I run 2, but read an article recently that claims 3 is the "sweet spot" for CAD work. Wondering if anybody can endorse this and what video card you're using?

Jack L Tate - Xtreme Tower Products - SolidWorks 2013 - Windows 7 - Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 - SpaceNavigator - Slacker Radio - Swingline Stapler - [COLOR=red yellow]C[sub]8[/sub]H[sub]10[/sub]N[sub]4[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub][/color] - Rental Bowling Shoes - Titanuim Spork - And that's all I need!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I typically use one for SolidWorks, but drag my command manager and property manager and any other toolbars to the 2nd monitor. Then the 2nd monitor is also handy for reference data and email, etc. I would not want to be limited to one monitor, unless it was some sort of 36" widescreen.

Jack L Tate - Xtreme Tower Products - SolidWorks 2013 - Windows 7 - Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 - SpaceNavigator - Slacker Radio - Swingline Stapler - [COLOR=red yellow]C[sub]8[/sub]H[sub]10[/sub]N[sub]4[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub][/color] - Rental Bowling Shoes - Titanuim Spork - And that's all I need!

I used to run SW2010 on two monitors; one 4:3 landscape for the graphics, one 16:9 portrait for other stuff that just had to be on the same computer.

... and a second entire computer with its own monitor (a relatively slow castoff from the secretarial pool) to run all the crazy administrivia that was demanded to be in continuous operation by Corporate.

I demanded the second computer because for a while they had us running some CRM POS that brought the CAD system to its knees with lebenty-seven background processes all attempting to phone home all the time.

I tried running two monitors (4:3, 16:9 and mixed) with the SW graphical field stretched across them; I hated it because the 'bar' comprising an edge of each monitor was always in the center of my field of view. It was _not_ equivalent to a single giant monitor, which would be my strong preference now. ... as would the second computer for pretty much everything _but_ SW.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I agree with Mike on that one. I would much prefer have one large screen and a little one rather than three average size monitor.

Currently I work on a laptop which is placed in front of me (I'm using the laptop keyboard all the time) and behind the laptop I have a 24" monitor placed just on top of the laptop screen. SW goes on the 24" monitor while almost everything else goes on the laptop screen. What I like about this setup is I don't have to rotate my head while working but of course I have to move my eyes (and most times my head) up and down.

If I had the money I would look for a large screen with a vertical pixel resolution of 1200 or 1440 instead of the common 1080. But other than that I'm happy with my setup so far.

Patrick

Both ATI and nVidia the two Major Graphics Card Co.s have newer cards that were designed to work better for multiple displays. There are Quadro NVS cards but they do not have the FX designation which the CAD cards typically do. Earlier Graphics cards have had issues with multiple diplays especially with the Customize dialogs.

I have links to both Graphics Cards provider's sites below (avoid Radeon & GeForce) cards, as they are no longer supported.
ATI Eyefinity Technology for Professionals "FirePro" not Radeon

NVIDIA® NVIEW® Software unsure if available for Quadro FX
Since I have not used the multi monitor nVidia custom cards I cannot give a good or bad review to them however the Screen Configuration settings may be worth it. I have seen the Eyefinity cards at SolidWorks World and the performance was better than I've seen in the past I also use a FirePro card at home without issue.
Always be sure to check and sites to make sure your HW and Graphics are supported and you are using the best driver versions for them.

Another thing to consider is why do you place the Windows Taskbar at the bottom of your screen? Have you ever tried placing it on the side? Considering we now have 16x9 ratio widescreens why do people take up valuable real-estate with a taskbar which can turn into a multi line one with many windows open and not grouped. When taskbar is vertical each tab can be read and are placed closer together. I have suggested the Side Taskbar to many people however I've never done an exit poll. Give it a try if you dare.

MikeHalloran said:
I demanded the second computer because for a while they had us running some CRM POS that brought the CAD system to its knees with lebenty-seven background processes all attempting to phone home all the time.

Good Tip Mike administrivia "Everything but Solidworks" [lol].
I'd suggest avoiding default apps as much as possible especially when doing Intensive CAD work. One useful way to avoid slowing down SolidWorks by these lower need programs/applications on multi-core machines, is to set Process Affinity on Task Manager's Processes tab for windows and lesser applications to run on a specific core not being used by SolidWorks sldworks.exe
Doing this prevents disparate apps from fighting for available memory between each other.
This was my own idea but if you've never done this here's a link to a simple how to tip.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

"Another thing to consider is why do you place the Windows Taskbar at the bottom of your screen? Have you ever tried placing it on the side? Considering we now have 16x9 ratio widescreens why do people take up valuable real-estate with a taskbar which can turn into a multi line one with many windows open and not grouped. When taskbar is vertical each tab can be read and are placed closer together. I have suggested the Side Taskbar to many people however I've never done an exit poll. Give it a try if you dare."

I tried this a few years ago and the results have been good. Previously, I found that when I hid the taskbar, I was always triggering it to open inadvertently. Many times for some unknown reason it would not disappear. Since moving it to the right side that issue has disappeared.
I use 2 side by side 20" monitors now. This recent development has proved a convenience in many ways. CAD software running on the right and e-mail etc on the left.
Chuck

We have had a couple users here using 3 monitors and they liked it. The Dell Laptops I order for the Engineers has a Nvidia Quadro card installed, but it also has the Intel onboard graphics. I have been having our IMS shut the Intel board off during the reformat, but as you can imagine a couple got overlooked. That allowed the users to have 2 external Monitors (per the docking station) and was able to also use the Laptop screen as a 3rd. They liked it, but the intel board caused multiple graphically issues when SW was running. Removing the Intel driver caused the 3rd monitor to stop working, but SW worked much better. The user was really bummed about losing the 3rd monitor. They use it strictly for Email.

I can see some benefits, but as you can see above there might be some cons, especially if the certified card or does not support more than 2 monitors. You may have to purchase a 2nd Graphics card to have the ability to have more than 2.

You might also start seeing a Physical therapist for Neck problems having more than 2 monitors.... yes I am speaking from experience... old age sucks!

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back