Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

research09

Structural
Dec 12, 2007
I'm running a job and tried to utilize multiple processors. The job I ran was a smaller one compared to others I have but the number of processors use, from 1-4, didn't seem to change the total time it took to run through 20 increments. They both took around 28 minutes.

I have a larger model that I started running on 4 processors but it hadn't made the first increment after 5-10 minutes elapsed so it was getting close to the same time it took for a single processor to do it so I stopped it.

I've read some places about some jobs being too small for multiple processors, is this true? I'm using Static, Riks and Concrete Damaged Plasticity, can multiple processors be used on this analysis? Finally, all I did to use multiprocessors is under the job, I clicked edit and selected the tab "parallelization" and changed it to 4 processors. I'm using ABAQUS/CAE by the way, does that seem the right way to set it up?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yoman228 is on the right track - check the number of tokens being used, and the number you have available.

ABAQUS requires 5 tokens to run a job with 1 cpu. Each extra cpu requires another token, so a 4 cpu job will require 5 + 3 = 8 tokens.

Could be that you don't have enough tokens to run the job with 4 cpu...? I'd check that first.

Regards

Martin Stokes CEng MIMechE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back