Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Multiple Qualifications for Engineers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dtuck

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2006
US
In the spirit of lean manufacturing and the future, how many engineers out there have had a product and enough financial know-how to get it going? The title of this topic is where is engineering going and I think this is a direction people should take when they can. Design a better product, make it locally and enjoy going to work. Beat the big guy and supply better products to the consumer. Any takers? How about colleges that can make this happen? Your thoughts and successes welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Georgia Tech has an incubator that helps fledging engineers finance and develop their ideas. One of their latest successes is Suniva, which manufactures photovoltaic panels using a new proprietary process. Interestingly, 90% of Suniva's production is currently dedicated to European sales.

Since I lost my job last December and can't find another one, I have been working on a new product that I can assemble myself and sell out of my home. Since no one will lend me money for startup, tooling, setup, etc., I've had to design it to look attractive, but be cheap to produce in small quantities. That has been a big challenge. Once money starts rolling in, then I can start thinking about bigger and better things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back