Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multistage RO 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

process1907

Chemical
Dec 10, 2008
MY
Hi all,

I'm Nazri
I've 1 question on RO (restriction orifice).

When we need to use multiple (2 or more) RO instead of single RO? Which 1 is prefered?

What is the basis on this?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have only used plates associated with a control valve in a similar arrangement as a multistage restriction orifice. For high gas pressure drop consider a choke.

Multiple orifices are sometimes used to satisfy API requirements that limit orifices to be no smaller than 1/8". This is an attempt to avoid plugging.

Johnny Pellin

I have seen some RO's with multiple orifices (instead of a single orifice) distributed across the plate, this for high pressure drop. In some other cases we have sized pressure reducing apexes to be fitted in a spool, when the pressure drop required is so high for a single RO that would otherwise cause cavitation. Also remember noise and vibration is always a problem, normally in my experience for pressure drops greater than 3 bar across a single orifice plate, we would normally go for pressure reducng apexes.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back