Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mumford links & Mallock TAM info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazza285

Structural
Jun 14, 2003
GB
Looking for any sites, books ect that will inform me of both Mumford type axle location and Mallock "trailing arm magic" theory.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just to make the box we're thinking within a little larger, upper link(s) don't necessarily have to be attached at the axle end at or ahead of the side view vertical centerline. As one example, Factory Five (Cobra replicas) has a 3-link (plus PHB) arrangement where the bracket for the upper link is upward and toward the rear from just outboard of the pumpkin on the right side axle tube. It's a way of getting a longer (upper) link without putting the chassis attachment point into the passenger seat.

Would something like that help?

Norm

in the U.S. Steeda has developed a similar link for the Ford Mustang (you find details on their web page 'steeda.com'). I have has build a 1:1 model out of wood to try kind of length and arrangements. Doesn't take long and avoids disappointment afterwards.

BTW Bill I run a limited diff. , but the major problem with the back axle remains the limited axle travel. Actually an other one for the experts in math.: When the engine churns out 400 Nm, how does this divide on the upper and lower links under acceleration (to make the bracketts with the correct material and size)?

Take care

Actually, tommog, I wouldn't start with the driveshaft torque. I'd assume a friction coefficient and, from that, calculate the thrust force at the tire patch. With only 3 links, it's then possible to form 3 equations with 3 unknowns and solve.

...thank you very much, but for me as practioner this could be too complicated as I have no theoretical knowledge about the equations involved (maybe u have a tip on the net - German would be quite handy). As I don't want to take any chances on safety, more material seems to be the answer.

Reading about spherical joints and PU bushes it seem to makes sense to use one end PU and in-line spherical (what ever it means) joints (I think the English say as well 'rose joints') on the other side. Does it matter where you fit the PU part -axle or chassis? What do u reckon is the mimimum size you need in my case.

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back