Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Municipality Denying Structural Risk of Their Own Property 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmig

Structural
Aug 8, 2008
US
I was visiting my childhood stomping grounds this year an noticed a pedestrian bridge, owned by the Town, on Town property crossing a creek. The bridge is over 30 years old, and is constructed with telephone poles converted to Girders. The pole ends have began to decay. The bridge guard rail is a system of nailed-together 2x4's, precariously balanced. They are at least 30 years old.

I observed the bridge in action during a local duck derby. A crowd, mostly children, had gathered to watch the duck finish, which coincidentally is right below the bridge. The bridge began to bow, the handrail began to fail, the crowd screamed, and everyone let go of the rail just in time for it to spring back into place. Scary.

After the event I inspect the bridge, and do partially intrusive inspections to determine rot extent and basically give myself enough "fact" to present this issue to the Town. I approach the town with a letter, outlining the risk.

They respond quickly, but without action. Our back and forth "hey you have a problem", "it is not a priority for us right now" has been going on for 9 months. Who has the political power to give these guys a kick in the pants? I can write the news paper? Head up a pitch fork and tar crowd? Send the letter to their insurance company?

I'm just at a loss.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Another way: Call the Fire Department and tell them that it's unsafe and show them your letters/concerns. Show them the rotted material and the condition of the safety rails. There might even be something in your State Safety Orders. The Fire Department should have some people on their staff that can make a common sense decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back