Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Must have technical references for new engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaconnol

Mechanical
Sep 11, 2012
US
First post on the board, though I've used it for technical info many times.

I'm working on a blog post for must have technical references for new/young engineers. I'd love to get some feedback; specifically other disciplines. For me:

Discipline: Mechanical/Piping
Reference: Crane Flow of Fluids, Technical Paper #410
Why: I use it at least twice a week. For such a small book it has about everything you need for simple pipe sizing calculations. It has fluid properties, pressure loss info for typical fittings, and of course my favorite table "Flow of Water through a Schedule 40 Steel Pipe".

Kevin Connolly, PE
www.TheEngineeringSurvivalGuide.com]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

GPSA Field data book. Cameron Hydraulics. I rarely need anything else, but no library is complete without Mark's because there always stuff just beyond the Reader's Digest Condensed Engineering that is Crane, Cameron, and GPSA. When I look at my 100 linear ft of bookshelves, I notice that my college Chemistry book comes off the shelf more than most (it seems to get used a lot more than my copy of Perry's).

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

Machinery's Handbook. I wish I had purchased one of those immediately after I received my diploma. Chock-full of practical information that goes beyond the theory taught in the university. For the amount of usefulness stuffed into that book, the price is a bargain.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Hazen Williams Hydraulic Tables, I use the 3rd edition, 11th printing
USBR Design of Small Dams
USBR Design of Small Canal Structures
USBR EM 25 Hydraulic Design of Stilling Basins and Energy Dissipaters
AISC Steel Construction Manual 8th Edition (red) and also latest edition
ACI 318 - latest edition
VT Chow, Open Channel Hydraulics
Brater and King, Handbook of Hydraulics

For ChemE, a copy of Perry's covers a lot of ground. Some other texts I frequently use:

Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes by Felder and Rousseau - an intro text, but it has a lot of useful tables and is MUCH lighter than Perry's.

A good fluid/heat/mass transfer book or books. I use Welty, Wicks, Wilson and Rorrer's Fundamentals of Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer because it combines all three.

A CRC handbook can be good for chemical properties, but is not absolutely necessary.

Crane Technical Paper 410 has been useful for me when reviewing relief valves.

A good statistics reference, particularly if you are involved with process control/improvement.

Also, references for the particular field you are in. For example, if you are in petro/refinery, you should probably have a separations reference for column work.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Matt

Quality, quantity, cost. Pick two.

The most-thumbed references on my shelf include
Machinery's Handbook
Roark's Formulas of Stress and Strain
Parker O-ring Handbook

used to have Crane 410, but gave it away to a needful youngster.

I'm in electronic packaging.

My favorites are:
Machinery's Handbook
Marks' Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers
Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain
Cooling Techniques for Electronic Equipment (D.S. Steinberg)
Vibration Analysis for Electronic Equipment (D.S. Steinberg)
Parker O-Ring Handbook
Ryersen catalog
Beth Steel catalog
The Y14 ASME drawing standards
The Genium Publishing Drafting Room Manual

BTW MatthewL: Welty, Wicks, Wilson and Rorrer's Fundamentals of Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer book got poor reviews on Amazon.com due to a high number of errors. Sounds like it would be a good resource if it were better proofread!

Tunalover

Standard Plans for Public Works Construction

I assume that is the green book? It is useful in California, less so in other parts of the country.

add AASHTO Materials Part 1 Specifications and Part 2 Tests

Like MatthewL, I have a copy of Felder and Rousseau I use frequently.

I also recommend Lange's Handbook of Chemistry.

For the Project Engineer, I recommend:

Planning, Estimating, and Control of Chemical Construction Projects by Navarette and Cole (get the 2nd edition, not the 1st, which was solely by Navarette)

Industrial Megaprojects by Merrow. This is not hard reference, and is in fact very conversational, but as a study of over 300 chemical industry megaprojects, it is sobering, enlightening, and accurate. I recommend it highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back