Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MV Standard Levels 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhonwyn73

Electrical
Mar 4, 2012
SA
Greeting to All,
For a new industrial power distribution system, we have been provided with two options for voltage levels, and we want to select the levels that will not case issues in future in regard of equipment selection (like Transformers, CB's, SVC's, motors, ...etc.)

The provided voltage level options are as follow:
-Option-1: 33kV, 13.8kV & 3.3kV
-Option-2: 34.5kV, 13.8kV & 4.16kV

Questions:
1) I need to know the proper option out of the above.
2) Is there any standards controlling the MV level selection, and based on that, most of equipment manufacturer will comply.

Thx., and appreciate your support.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What country are you in? It does makes a difference, and we aren't mind-readers. [wink]

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I'm with Scotty (He bought me a round!) but in the USA, Option 2 is the way to go. elsewhere, like he says, look around. The farther out on the supply chain, the more I am to mirror what's common in the area.

I've worked at facilities that had a mish-mash of American and European gear. Every time I opened a cabinet or a drawing, I had to make a point of remembering WHO made the stuff. don't just make it easy on yourself, think of those who come behind you to operate and maintain the stuff.

old field guy

The preferred voltage levels for US are covered in ANSI C84.1-2006 American National Standard for Electric Power systems and Equipment-Voltage Ratings (60 Hertz).This standard now covers the entire voltage range from 100V to 1200 kV and superceeds earlier standards IEEE 1312 & ANSI C92.2

For IEC world, the relevant standard is IEC 60038 ed7.0 (2009-06) IEC Standard voltages.There are two other standards on the subject viz IEC 60850ed3.0(2007-02)Railway Applications -Supply Voltages of Traction Systems and IEC 60449 ed1.0(1973) Voltage bands for electrical installations of buildings.

Many thanks for your valuable comments.

The plant will be in United Arab Emirate(UAE), and majority of equipment will be from Europ, Japan, and Asia with 60hz power system.

I want to avoid the issue that has been highlighted by Mr. oldfieldguy, thus, we are looking for standardization, and we don’t want to have a range of equipment that may have limited support due to uncommon requirement, or may have a high cost for spare/support due to out of common manufactured range.

The 33kV and 3.3kV levels look like voltages from the 50Hz world, probably somewhere which has had colonial British influence at some point in history. I haven't seen them as standard voltages at 60Hz, although that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

The 60Hz world is dominated by North American suppliers, so align your voltages with their standards. I'm dipping out of this discussion because 60Hz isn't my thing...

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I remember UAE is having only 50HZ. The IEC standard mentioned by me gives the correct voltage ratings.Of course you have to respect the ratings already followed in the system as the new equipment has to work in parallel or has to be interchangeable with the existing equipment.

we have been experience in used 50Hz-230kV circuit breaker in a system of 60Hz.There are 4 conditions:
1- there is no external restriction (utility of your system)
2- 50Hz-CB was approved in Routine tests
3- Type tests for 50Hz-CB were approved by same unsuspect Laboratory Electrical Institute of 60Hz-CB, except one.
4- that one (operationn with capacitor bank) were not applied in our system.

Dears,
Many thanks for your help. I have gone through ANSI C84.1-2006 & IEC 60038 ed7.0 (2009-06) and both were very helpful in addition to your above valuable comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back