MV Switchgear IEC 62271-200, Internal Arc Test. Mandatory? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanGomez

Electrical
May 5, 2008
ES
Hi.

In IEC 62271-200, Indicates that should be make the "internal arc test as a mandatory type test where applicable"... to next have a IAC clasification, normally IAC AFLR.

the question is:
where applicable? or where is not applicable?

The type tests comprise an internal arc test on a representative functional unit in every compartment containing main circuit parts. The types of accessibility A and B (for authorized personnel only and general public respectively) are extended to include type C for pole mounted metal-enclosed switchgear. The protection level relative to the five acceptance criteria and relevant accessibility type are defined by an internal arc classification (IAC) for the front(F), lateral(L) and rear(R) sides of the switchgear.

This IEC standard have a lot of information, but i not sure if sometimes this Internal Arc Test is not required.

I´m working with from 6 Kv to 11kV, 2000 & 3000Amp main buses SF6 or Air.

Thanks in advance.
Juan Gómez

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi JuanGomez,

Indeed IEC 62271-200 is not clear on where IAC applies or not.

Based on my past experience in using these switchboards onbaord vessels, the answer is easy: even if IEC is not clear, the Internal Arc Withstand is required by some classification societies.

Now, based on my new experience in power generation plants, I would say that this feature may be required when considering the installation of the switchboard and possibly local standards.

Also, to avoid any issues, I think the best is to discuss this question directly with your customer.

Hope this helps,
Regards

Hi HVMariner.

Thanks for your repply.

My installation is about power generation plants, sometimes the MV switchgears inside building, sometimes inside of containers (similar a power house).

The customer usually says: you must comply with IEC.

Today would be an acceptable certificate of internal arc test, made under the IEC 60298 (old standard)? I think not, or is there a time delay (years) for implementation of the IEC62271-200?

Thanks in advance.

Hi JuanGomez,

Sorry for this late answer. In fact, stating in a general way that equipment should comply with IEC is not enough. My understanding is as follows:
- Basically, any equipment should comply with the local (country) codes.
- In addition, according to your contract with your customer, it may have to comply with standards such as IEC.
- Note here that some local codes may refer to standards such as IEC, whicb makes it necessary to comply with these.

In your typical case, I think that IEC62271-200 is definately not clear on whether you should comply or not and provide an internal arc type tested switchboard. That's why I suggested that you should have an open discussion with your customer.

Hope this helps...
Rgrds,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back