Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MV Switchgear Layout & Nomenclature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tintin75

Electrical
Sep 20, 2007
NL
Dear all,

I am working with a newly commissioned MV/HV windfarm transmission substation that, to me, has a rather strange and arguably dangerous panel nomenclature. I hope to have some opinions from both designers and those in O&M

The SLD depicts a layout for panels H01 - H08 running left-to-right. Whereas the real installation has panels installed H07-H01 running left-to-right. (H08 is not installed but there is the floorspace, cable ducting and arc chute ready [but the drawing actually depicts it as installed])

Switchgear_Layout_glhqxv.png

There is only one incoming feeder (H01) in the MV Room but to be fair, the building has room for expansion.
They have not produced SLDs specific for switching operations but rather have an SLD that depicts power and protection design.
By my own rationale, I would have the drawing corrected to reflect the layout and the installation status of H08 (There is an A0 size print of the drawing mounted in the MV room)

They have two panels named "Départ 1" and same for "Départ 2" which to me is an unwise choice of naming. ( Read "Départ" as "outgoing feeder" [installation is in a francophone country])

The companies involved are constructing more substations and I want them to specify configurations that avoid the potential for confusion ( like when receiving switching orders by telephone.)

The Incoming feeder H01 comes from a transformer and it looks like they chose a Right-to-Left configuration because the transformer is located on the RHS of the building. I can't imagine that the apparent economy on cable length would justify setting it out like this(?) The subfloor has plenty of space for cables.

My questions
For giving switching orders, do you think the combination of these features adds unacceptable risk for personnel? (enough to request a change in the drawings, signage?)
When drawing SLDs do we as a rule of art, lay out the components in harmony with their physical layout (left to right)?

This Topic on configuration I found helpful
[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=467222[/url]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A lot of confusion may be mitigated with a simple change to the drawings.
The identifier is "FE Windfarm, Bravo".
I would like to see that at the top of the description.
HO 1
FE Windfarm
Bravo
Depart 1

As for the physical layout versus the SLD, the SLDs that I am familiar with are, as the name implies, single line diagrams.
When drawn as a single line, the incoming power is typically shown entering at the top or on the left.
I would expect a SLD to have one vertical line through HO 1, to a horizontal line depicting the bus.
Then the departing cables shown downward from the horizontal line through their respective switches.
I would consider that drawing to be a pictorial, rather than an SLD.
As a pictorial it should reflect the physical layout.
I agree with you.
Good luck.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Thank you . You making the distinction between a pictorial and a single line diagram is valuable for me.
Yes, there is a vertical line through H01 with bus as like you said. They have a broken grey line around each part of the switchgear that to me, made it somewhat pictorial and hence my concern.
The windfarms I have worked with in France and Germany have diagrams displayed at the sub and in each turbine. The cables, CB and all other 3 phase elements are depicted in single-line form but they add pictorial switchgear chassis-type borders. They just call them an SLD and they primarily use them to conduct switching operations.

I am creating a document schedule for future projects and I like to be correct in naming things.
You simply call it a Pictorial or an Pictorial SLD? (You are from the UK no?)
Cheers

I am in Canada.
I would call it a "Physical Layout" rather than a pictorial.
Calling it a Physical Layout is grounds for rejecting the diagram shown as inaccurate.

I have seen issues when the switchgear lineup does not match the field layout.
eg: Switchgear layout A-B-C, east to west and equipment layout C-B-A, east to west.
In one case it was discovered that the wrong equipment had been locked out prior to work carried out.
In another case cables were pulled to the wrong equipment. Then they had to be replaced with new cables as the lengths didn't match.
I see a parallel here.
No one should see on an accident report;
"A contributing factor to the incident was the fact that the drawing layout does not agree with the physical layout of the equipment."

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I could see having "Charlee feeder 1" and "Bravo feeder 1" as OK, but I with the op that "feeder 1 FE Windfarm Charlee/Bravo" could be dangerous by shortening to "feeder 1".

One-lines have a different purpose that physical layouts. Although it is nice when they can be drawn in the same orientation, sometimes matching the physical layout reduces the readability of the one-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back