Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mx in STAAD Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

oengineer

Structural
Apr 25, 2011
US
When you print Member Force List in STAAD it shows that the Mx-value is for Torsion.

But when you print Support Reactions list in STAAD, it just gives you the values for Force-X, Force-Y, Force-Z, Mom-X, Mom-Y, & Mom-Z.

I would like to confirm that Mx is still considered Torsion in regards to the support reactions when using STAAD Pro (where can I verify this in the STAAD content- did not see it when I searched in the help tools).

Comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IIRC, the Support reaction list is based on a Global orientation (i.e. relative to your cartesian coordinate system). The member force is more of a local orientation.

You can always do a test to verify.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But, support reactions are for boundary condition joints, right? If so, then it is based on the global axis of the model or the local axis of the joint (if STAAD allows this).

If you look in the STAAD documentation on beam elements there is more explanation of the local axis ie beam local axis vs the global axis. As WARose stated the support reactions are relative to the global axis and the beam force are relative to the local axis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back