Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Co-op Job with CATIA v5 (Trial By Fire) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

btwilcox

Automotive
Jan 31, 2005
US
I guess you first need to understand the depth of my problem. This is not the first time that I have posted on this forum with slightly basic problems in using CATIA v5. I have recently obtained a co-op position at an automotive supplier and I would really like to get better with the software. This would help me not only become much more valuable to the company but to other companies as well.

My training on CATIA consists of struggling to drag myself through 3d projects that my boss has given me in the v5 software with little or no software help. Don't get me wrong, this method is about the only way you can familiarize yourself with a CAD system, but it just makes it very frustrating when I have a problem because this is about the only resource that I have to get my questions answered.

The person in this company who is most fluent with the CATIA software operates almost exclusively in v4 and has never made a drawing with the v5 software. The help software is MIA because when I open it, it says that I still need to install it and tells me to insert the installation cd. I do not think that we have an installation cd because we have purchased it online.

Another problem I am running into is that both of our CATIA stations are in UNIX and therefore any of the help from others that I could be using is lost because no one has experience working with v5 in UNIX. Running this software in UNIX also is very time consuming because the processes take so long. This would serve to explain my slow load and save times.

Maybe someone could give me an overview of how the online documentation works, so that I can either call a help desk somewhere or try and figure it out myself. I have heard that this is a good source for most of the problems that are experienced when using CATIA v5.

I have already done a search throughout the web for a good reference book on CATIA v5 and have had very little success. Most books are workbooks that will take you step by step through the processes. What I need is large book with a nice glossary in order to look up my questions when I run into problems.

A lot of people have suggested to others that they take a course somewhere. Because I am a co-op student who will be here until the end of march and then come back for the summer, I do not think they would be willing to pay for that. I am in the state of OH, maybe there are some other options that would be close. If there are classes nearby, maybe I could work something out with my employer.

I know a lot of people post looking for help on CATIA, such as websites to go to. I have been through all of the websites and I am looking for is something more concrete than that. I need a real reference or class so that I have a solid foundation for the CATIA that I will continue to perform here for the next few months.

If anyone has any suggestions or tried and true advice on what you did to familiarize yourself with the software, I am very interested to see what you have to say.

Thank you for your time reading this long post,
BT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I had, like many others, to learn V5 by myself. But I had the online doc available. This is a must have if you can not have any training.

you said that your co-op will end by the end of march. I do not want to scare you but if you are alone, with no online doc, no training, no one to help you it will be VERY HARD for you to learn and master V5.

So I will suggest you find those CD with the online doc, whoever buy CATIA get the online doc, it is part of the package, or call IBM if you are missing the CD.

Then find some CATIA forum and read them all ( and )

Tell your boss that if he wants you to work with CATIA, the best way is a training, yeah I know it is $$$ but it is faster to learn that way, and you have someone to ask question to...

I work in a large Canadian company, they have students but they train them... even for a few months.

For a good book, search for Richard CUZZENS's, he is a good fellow and his book is good when you start with V5.

Welcom and have fun with V5 !!!

indocti discant et ament meminisse periti
Eric N.

^^ heh... Even with the best training in the WORLD he couldn't "master" V5 by the end of March.

I'd put the list of V5 masters at less than 100 worldwide, and these are mostly Dassault or MSC people who've been using it since 1998.

In any case, if you could get your hands on the V5 Training docs, they are pretty good.

The search function in the online docs needs a lot of refining... it's not very good for answering basic questions.

What I like is hitting F1 after selecting a function because it goes right to that part of the docs (if documentation exists which it sometimes does not).

Ask your boss who it is that interfaces with IBM. I'm sure someone has an account to download the documentation CD images.

"The help software is MIA because when I open it, it says that I still need to install it and tells me to insert the installation cd. I do not think that we have an installation cd because we have purchased it online."

Sounds like your Sys Admin merely copied the Documentation CDs onto the system, rather than actually installing them. V5's Documentation CDs actually run a script that modifies all of the URLs inside of the HTML pages, so it is imperitive that the installation script be run. (note: this is probably why it takes >1 hour to install).

I don't believe that you purchased it online. You may download Service Packs, but the GA releases are always deliverd on CD (actually, it takes about 4-5 CDs total).

Check with your Sys Admin.

Hi,

The on-line docs for r12 is on 5 CDs. In fact, the last one contains the first 4 CDs but in pdf format.

You can find also some tutorials on the net. See FAQ (even if there are some old links which are not working).

Maybe we can update that list with new "entries".

Regards
Fernando

Hi,

I think, two important points we need to consider:
- which CATIA V5 modules?
- methodology!

PRODUCTS
If I were you, I would not try to become a master in the beginning. Like most large PLM solutions (e.g. UG), CATIA V5 consists of different products aiming from solid modelling to fiber composites, from structural analysis to manufacturing. First, it would be wise to realize the abilities of these products and of course your own needs.

Choose a side, determine what you will need in your practical engineering life. Try to become expert in Sketcher, Part Design and Assembly Design. Meanwhile, try to develop skills in your own field. For example, use Generative Shape Design or special automotive solutions.

METHODOLOGY
When I say "methodology", I mean the systematical way that a CAD user works to produce an object in a CAD software. Like all other PLM software, CATIA is full of many commands to create some effects. For example, you can create a chamfer using many different methods. So which method should be chosen?
In my opinion, a user should develop (or acquire) a methodology to self administrate "which command is appropriate?", "when?" and "what are the options?".

DOCUMENTATION
As Ferdo stated, CATIA V5 documentation is composed of 5 CDs (4 html based + 1 pdf based). Both html and pdf docs include almost the same information and examples.
- To work with CATIA V5 + on-line docs simultaneously, the html based version is better. Press F1 and get help! Moreover, there are sample CATIA files embedded to examples.
- On the other hand, the advantage of pdfs, you can take the pdf documentation whereever you want. Still you have the whole documentation but this time just in a cd.

HOWEVER, on-line documentation may not be enough to get enough experience and develop a methodology.

FPeng -trying to build an igloo-

I have to say that the F1 key is great just founf that out from this post. I have been using Catia V5 since R4 about 4 years now and I am still learning.

dont get discouraged man!

catia v5 is a little intimidating, esp if you have never used parametric design software before...i started out on solidworks, and with a little help, was able to get going pretty good on it...then i moved into catia v5 and had very little difficulty modeling and assembling...so i would recommend that you try to get your hands on a copy of solidworks, its a little bit more user friendly (to me) and might lay a good foundation in you 'teaching yourself' v5

good luck and keep everyone 'posted'on your progress

(pardon the pun)

adam

Just a little update,
I called our CATIA provider and he informed me that we have v4 and v5 running simultaneously on the same computer in order to help ease the transistion process. He also said that it was installed over the internet and I did not have any cds of v5 documentation. He then informed me that he would ship the cds to me in a couple of days and I recieved them this afternoon. I opened up the last cd with all of the documentation in .pdf format and it is amazing. I should be able to accomplish a lot more with these help docs than before.

Thanks for your help and consideration,

BT

BT: See if he or anyone has access to the Dassault Systems Training Documentation. That's the real gold. I have the R12 and R14 training docs on 2 DVDs each!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back