Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

My pneumatic cylinder needs to push down 25% of its capacity at the start and then push with 100%. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imposter666

Mechanical
Jan 15, 2021
CA
I have an SMC cylinder with 50mm Dia operating at 60psi. I need to design a pneumatic circuit that would enable the cylinder to push with 10-25% its capacity (I need a pressure regulator to adjust as needed) at the start. Then once the part is lifted of the table, I need the cylinder to push down with 100% of its capacity. I will have a part present sensor to communicate to the SMC manifold/valve that it is time to apply the full pressure. What kind of 5/3 valve and pneumatic circuit would I need for this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say one valve with a supply pressure of 25% of the second valve.

The first will simply close up once the higher pressure supply is activated.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

ASSuming that you also need it to retract, you need two directional valves in sequence. The first selects between line pressure (port A) and regulated-down pressure (port B) with the result to the P port. The second takes P and distributes that via its A and B ports to both ends of the cylinder as usual.

If you apply 75-90% pressure to the release side of the cylinder then you simply need to vent the release to gain full force. After the operation re-apply the 75-90% to retract the cylinder.

Two solutions come to my mind.

1. Use a 5/2 way valve with port 1 connected to a I/P converter. You can set the output pressure using 0-10V /4-20mA signal.
2. Use two 3/2 way valves to connect to port 1 of a 5/2 way valves. These two 3/2 way valves can be connected to different pressures to their port 1. In this way you can change the pressure in Port 1 of the 5/2 way valve.

How precise does this need to be?
What to you mean by capacity? When you use the word push I think of force.
Are you really trying to control force? In this case force = pressure1*area1-pressure0*area0.
Even if you vent the exhausting side there will still be atmospheric pressure opposing the side that is pushing.
What mass is being lifted?
Controlling one 5/2 way valve is much easier than controlling two 3/2 way valves if precision is required.

I hate small pneumatic projects like this. What happens is the air gets dirty and starts to gum up the works.
Seal friction can be a problem. Usually the cylinder starts to suffer from slip/stick or Stribeck friction.

Can it be done? Yes. But I would consider using a small electric motor.

Peter Nachtwey
Delta Computer Systems
IFPS Hall of Fame Member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back