Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MYT engine -- anyone heard of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brysonc

Mechanical
Apr 8, 2006
US
Anyone heard of this?
I didn't have a whole lot of time to look over it because I had an 8am test, but it seems interesting. I don't think they have done any actual testing where they ignite a fuel/air mixture, but they have done what they call "air motoring," where they run compressed air into the intake and just use the compression of the engine to run it (or something along those lines, I just skimmed the article). Also, I went through the patent really quickly and it seems they have a "two-stroke" variant as well. I'm not 100% on how the pistons actually turn the crankshaft, but I'll read through it a bit more later.

Looks interesting, but there's not much math to back up anything. Also, the estimates of power seem a little outlandish, but I guess time will tell. The thing is, even if the motor does end up making 1000ft-lbs at 300rpm, it doesn't really have a practical application from a motorsports standpoint unless you can shift that powerband higher. By the time you gear that engine up to achieve performance car speeds, it isn't going to be anything impressive -- they reported 134hp, which indicates how much the actual wheel torque will be reduced at higher speeds in production cars.

I can see it working well in low speed applications, but unless they move the powerband up I don't see it moving to the automotive industry. I mainly posted it up because I thought the concept was cool. I think it's cooler than the rotary valve idea that has been around awhile. Has anyone figured out how the pistons turn the crank?

I'm not saying it's any more than "just another concept;" it's just food for thought, and I figured you guys might find it interesting.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

some guy was in here not too long ago describing an engine just like it and claiming that it could run on very finely powedered coal dust. I forget the topic of the discussion. Some flaws were found with the engine and he was basically looking for financing to build it.

So I guess someone else beat him to it. it's interesting but I don't think anyone will take it seriously. it reminds me of the quasiturbine ppl, claiming how it is so superior to every other engine out there yet when they tried to actually make it run, they ran it for 40 hours and nothing happened. after that they just stopped testing it and continued to claim how superior it was.

It looks good in theory, but he should run it first and then claim how great it is, I can claim that a wankel engine is superior to a diesel for towing a load, that doesn't mean it's true...

Rudolph Diesel's first engines were run off coal dust. He finally went to a liquid fuel to fix some of the "running" problems of the engine. They may have worked it out. I will go read the paper next.

RIchard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back