Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Myth Busters Chicken vs airplane windshield 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsummerfield

Electrical
Jan 26, 2003
US
In iPilot.com, a pilot questions the situation with the testing. A bird strike is a major concern for many pilots. Myth Busters tested a trashed airplane windshield. It failed, exponentially and to several powers. I mean it was real bad.

What agency or testing service or professional society has performed testing of bird strikes on aircraft - Cessna 172 not F-16 for example.

Stay tuned as this could be fun.

John Summerfield, PE and private pilot

John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please take mythbusters with a grain of salt. Beter still, don't watch it.

Another waste of time is Car Talk on PBS. They have made disparaging remarks about engineers, so you know where they are coming from.

CFI and PE

Mythbusters and the biker shows are among the programs that took over the Discovery Channel. However, Discovery Science is very good.

Tom and Ray have ENGINEERING degrees from MIT. Isn't one a professor? They do not care for SUVs. However, working and living around Boston they do not have to worry about clearing boulders getting into their ranch.

John

My grandfather flew into a flock of birds in his P-47 over France, while skirting treetops on a strafing run. He believed it was a group of pidgeons.

His recollection to me was that he loosened the fillings in his teeth as a result of the unbalanced prop that was damaged by the strike.

His right wing root was neatly dented in, and the entire right side of the wing was crumpled along the leading edge.
He said that it looked like he had flown through a slaughterhouse because of all the blood streaked down his wing.

He joked that the best air defense that the Luftwaffe could muster that day were the "deadly accurate" flocks of birds. Another in his FG was lost that day to the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back