Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

N-sided surface ??___Ballcorners

Status
Not open for further replies.

NX3user

Automotive
Jun 30, 2005
DE
Hi,

I’m trying to fill this cutting with N-side but the result is bad, (in Catia V5 it was Fill).
Can I use another command for this?

Thank you, for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The version is ALWAYS relevant, as things sometimes change and commands are added or removed.

The surface you want could be easily made with a Styled Corner, but you'll have to have a Shape Studio license for that, I believe.

The only other alternatives would be Transition Surface or using an Edge Blend with Setback.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Hi and thank's to all,

It’s not a problem to use Blend with Corner Setback but when I've an internal edge like in the picture the Blend with Corner Setback is stopping there, and I need sometimes to cross this edge, for that reason I try to cut and to fill, of course I can’t erase that surface (edge).

Thank you.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=09d91e59-8528-4625-bc77-02f64da339fe&file=01_teste_curs_02.JPG
Yes that is a problem that the setback corners in NX dont seem to cope with. Perhaps that would make a great enhancement in the future.

If you have to manually surface such a corner then the trick is always to come up with some strategy for building the surfaces that can define a proper four sided curve mesh without any sharp corners. The best way then is to build the surfaces oversized and then trim one back to another to achieve an acceptable result. Geometry such as you're working with can then be patched on to the model.

The attached is a quick and dirty rough example.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=706a1463-47b6-42e5-a4d8-16f5cab2e1ad&file=Manual_corner_setback.prt
Did you try using Transition? Do you have a Shape Studio license? If so, Styled Corner would work perfectly for this.

There ARE solutions...you just may not be licensed for some of them.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Like I said it would be nice if NX could do something sort of like what you're showing here in Catia, but not the same. The NX corner setback does a good job it is just a pity that it won't cross an internal edge. The fact of the matter is that it softens the corner every time. From what I can see in your image this looks a lot like a classic case of a corner that while it attempts to be set back has no internal surface controls allowing it to possibly become sharper rather than smoother at some points. I also have some difficulty in trusting surfaces with greater of less than four sides period.

John,

If some of these corner blends could be looked at what I'd like to see improved at that same time is the tangency conditions for internal edges of blends or face blends that are created when some blends cross other edge boundaries. There would be little point as I see it being able to create this currently impossible corner setback, if only to find that it outputs a sharp edge.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

... I've done v5 designs, the fill command is strong. My exerience that you have to remove the parameters. It is more a repair command for the case I have a poor model with open edges. In the picture, the orginal faces in your model were removed in the fill area those operations you do not have to forget. Patch or n-side face doesn't work as fine as fill. In Nx , to get a usable result I have used the through curve mesh, in this case I would add guide strings. Its the fill in GSD workbench and the rough offset in GSO V5 are much stronger in V5 but the rest is the same - at all I still prefer NX. The mess is, years(min.6) ago I reported both it at the GTAC, but I was blocked or forgotten on their IR heap. Maybe the haven't compared. Working inside Nx the setback functionality is the best. Working at sheetmodels in both Cad sytems is a lot of experience to solve those problems.

uwam2ie,

If it were up to me I'd still have you build the surfaces in a way that offers considerably more control over the outcomes.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Thanks to all,

When is simple and fast constructed, will be easy to update and change for future,
I’m trying to simplify my constructions as much I can…

Is good to hear that in NX6 we can find some tool for this issue.

Regards.

NX3user,

Styled Corner is the command to be used for the scenario in your original NX image. I've used it many times for creating this exact type of corner. It is a single command that asks you to input 3 blend faces and 1 other face (in your case, the flat top face). Once you input those faces, you have 4 different choices for building the corner (how the bridge curves are created) as well as choices for continuity up to G3.

You MAY need to apply the blends untrimmed and unattached (Face Blend will do this easily), then create the Styled Corner, allow the corner feature to Trim all the blends (or you can do it manually). From there, you can either choose to Sew all surfaces together or Sew just the blends then Patch then into the block solid body. However, you might be able to get the same result with your current workflow....I don't have NX to use at the moment to check.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back