Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

N VALUE QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkm0038

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2009
US
Can someone please help me or refer me to a good resource. I would like to know more about the 'n value' used for gas mixtures to calculate physical properties for a mixture of gases.

I would specifically like to know how to get it and the equations it is used in. I have been searching for a while with no luck on for a good reference

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

there is a term called 'n value' it is used in industry for gas mixtures as a means of calculating the specific heat, and maybe other things.

there is an equation that gives the specific heat and is a function of 'n value', molecular weight, and maybe a couple other things for a mixture of gases.

i would like to know if anyone is familar with this and if they can explain how to derive it or refer me to something else

The Natural Gas Processors Suppliers Association (NGPSA) Engineering Data Book, 8th edition, 1966 (that's a date) page 157 uses N=Cp/Cv for ideal gases. There is also a Cp/Cv to the power n where the k is not a constant and n is a variable. I never found this much help.

HAZOP at

N is a variable used in the calculation of the specific heat of an ideal gas. There is an article in the August issue of Hydrocarbon Processing titled "Predict Heat Capacity More Accurately". N is the exponent of temperature. The only way I know how to express the equation is to use Fortran. The equation is: CP = A + B*EXP(-C/(T**N)). The values for A,B,C and N are given in the article for 221 hydrocarbons.

I have found some stuff concerning my original question...

The equation seems to be of the form Cp = [n R]/[M (n-1)]
where
Cp = the specific heat
R = is the universal gas constant
M = molecular weight
n = the 'N value' from above (possible ratio of specific heats/or something concerning the degrees of freedom of the gas)

I still would like to know how it is derived (from the ideal gas law??) and what specifically is 'n'.

Is anyone familar with this and can help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back