Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Naca 6-series nomenclature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arys13

Industrial
Oct 3, 2014
ES
Hello,

I'm trying to draw in CAD a NACA airfoil, but I'm having problems with the nomenclature. The information I have is:

NACA 65(xx)(yy) (e.g. NACA 65(07)07)

With xx standing for the relative camber and YY representing the relative thickness (that's what the information about the airfoil says)

The problem is that this nomenclature doesn't match any of the "official" nomenclature, though I think it's obviously and airfoil of the 65 series. The official 6-series nomenclature would be:

The number "6" indicating the series.
One digit describing the distance of the minimum pressure area in tens of percent of chord.
The subscript digit gives the range of lift coefficient in tenths above and below the design lift coefficient in which favorable pressure
gradients exist on both surfaces
A hyphen.
One digit describing the design lift coefficient in tenths.
Two digits describing the maximum thickness as percent of chord.

Thank you for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, I've found several reports that use that nomenclature. For example:

(To search quickly, control+f and search for "xx")

As it says on the reference:

Profile designation according to the nomenclature given in Noguera, R., Rey, R., Massouh, F., Bakir, F. &
Kouidri, S. (1993). “Design and analysis of axial pumps”. In ASME Fluids Engineering, Second Pumping Machinery Symposium, Washington, USA., pp. 95–111.

Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere that reference. However, i'm still wondering why they use such nomenclature and they don't use the official one (¿?).

I think the problem is that without the coordinates that match the profile name you have, you can't reproduce the airfoil.

The paper was from 1993, certainly pre-dating widespread electronic publication. I wonder if they really used an NACA designation, which would be assigned by NACA or just made up their own.

If the authors are still working you might be able to contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back