Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name that corrosion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

clay87

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2010
Application: Raw Water Pump Shaft
Material: A276 XM19 (Nitronic 50)
Fluid: Pond water. Slightly brackish (170 ppm Cl- or 1300 um/cm2).
We do inject biocide (i think NaOCl).

I can't recall ever seeing this corrosion in this application with the same material. We may have a material issue?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Operated continuous or intermittent?
What was used as an assembly aid (oil or grease)?
What alloy was the mating material?

Have you checked chemistry? Just a Mo spot test would work for me.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

I thought I answered the questions already. Technical error.

1. Operated about 3/4 of the time. May sit idle for 1 week at a time.

2. Assembly aid, if any, would be graphite.

3. Mating materials: Impeller is NiAlBr (slide 2 top photos). Shaft sleeves are XM19 (slide 2 bottom left). Some corrosion where there is no mating matl (slide 2 bottom right)

Note that the upper shaft (can be partially seen on slide 2 top right photo) is the same material spec and does not show this corrosion.

Stan, you beat me to the Cu comment.
I sort of doubt MIC. Pictures of the surface fouling could change my mind though.

Either Cu and/ or graphite and a galvanic mechanism sounds more realistic.

Differences in surface condition between the two shafts can go a long way as the source of different corrosion results.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

I dont know anything about this selective plating...is this similar to selective leaching such as de-alloy/de-aluminification. What the heck causes this?

I wouldn't expect that a tiny amount of graphite would lead to galvanic problems on such large/heavy parts, but I guess anything is possible...

Scrape off some of the deposit and order XRD (compounds) and EDS (elements) testing. The green suggests copper hydroxide, but it might also be a nickel salt. Living microbiological material is now impossible, but XRD can give indirect evidence. Metallographic sectioning of the affected area, if it reveals spheroidal pits, is a strong indicator. With stainless steels pits can be almost entirely submerged.

Shaft appears to be burnished in affected areas with emery paper, perhaps it was contaminated. Inclusions of other metal from that process may have given the corrosion a foothold.

Burnishing is a common process for pump components, there may be a 0.001-0.002" clearance between shaft and impeller by design, for larger components this makes assembly difficult. Flapper wheel inside the impeller bore, burnish the shaft with a strip of emery cloth. Dust from either or both shaft/impeller could have found it's way into the final assembly, trapped between mating components.

Gibson,
The shaft/impeller may have seen emory cloth for cleaning/smoothing (not necessarily for 'burnishing' but for cleaning/smoothing) so this may be a possibility.

I'll try to get a sample of the stuff and update this thread. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back