Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Named Views - How to create them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian2

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2002
CA
Dear Folks;

Using SW 2001, I have been able to create views using Rapid Draft and can create sections and auxilliary views untill the cows come home but so far I cannot get Named views to work. I have the view orientaion box visible and have both my part and drawing visible in seperate windows. Where do I go from here ?

Any help would be most appreciated

Regards Adrian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't used Rapid Draft before, but from what I can tell, it has some limitations.
Try this...
Load your model and orient it to the "view" you need.
Then press the spacebar to open the VIEW ORIENTATION menu.
Pick the 2nd from left - NEW VIEW.
Name your new view, then switch to your drawing and insert it.
Let me know if you need more details, I'll gladly expound.
BTW - I learned what little I know anout Rapid Draft from the on-screen help menus in SolidWorks.
[jester]
tatej@usfilter.com
aka: Little Debbie's Boy-Toy

Dear Tatej;

Thanks I think I've got it now, I was trying to use the view orientation box in the part drawing, instead of picking my view from the orientation box shown in the browser in my assembly drawing. Now I can pick and choose views from other parts and drawings and plop them into my assembly. Works Great ! Thanks.

BTW how are things at US Filter, are you involved with Dust Collector design by any chance, ? or are you part of another division ?

Dust Collectors are my specialty

Regards Adrian D.

Adrian,

I'm sure you are aware of this, but for anyone reading this that isn't aware, this is what happens with RD drawings.

Once a SW drawing has been converted to a Rapiddraft it cannot be return to SW as a .slddrw.

From the Help:
NOTE: Once a drawing is converted to RapidDraft format, it cannot be converted back. You are advised to save a version of the unconverted file.

From now on, the drawing is recognized as a RapidDraft drawing. The Convert to RapidDraft check box does not appear again. The model is loaded only when you specify.

Making sure everyone understands what a RD drawing is and what it does. Also check the help file it is very interesting to see the advantages and disadvantages of using this type system.

Cheers, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

*When in doubt always check the help*

Adrian2:

I don't do dust collectors - not sure which (if any) USF's do them.
I do brush rotors and screw pumps for wastewater treatment.
I like to call them s$#t-slingers and s$#t-lifters.

Glad I was able to help a little...
[jester]
tatej@usfilter.com
aka: Little Debbie's Boy-Toy

All you have to do is hit the named view icon in the drawing and pick on a view in the drawing that you would like to have one of the named views of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back