Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nameplate placement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhoxworth

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2003
US
I don't have the ASME BPVC handy. Can anyone give me info on requirements regarding placement of the nameplates? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is your specific application - Section I, VIII ? I would suggest you consider an internet subscription service from IHS for ASME B&PV code books and other standards

This way you can have the ASME Code books at your lap top or PC finger tips day/night or on the road, at home or in a bar.

All required markings shall be located in a conspicuous place, preferably near a manhole or handhold. It has to be accessible after installation of the vessel and should not be covered unless the cover is readily removable.

UG-119 has several things you may want to consider. They may or may not apply in your case, however, they're a bit lengthy to include in this post. I'd suggest you get a copy of Sec VIII and review them, or consult with your AI.

I do know that some regions require the name plate to be mounted onto the physical pressure envelope rather than say a skirt or saddle.

This requirement is due to the fact that a vessel can be modified during its lifetime (i.e. remove saddles or skirts)and still operate within its design conditions. Therefore the name plate by being attached to the pressure envelope will always be attached to the vessel and the vessel maintians traceabilty.

Logical positions are near a manway or inspection opening. If the vessel is insulate make sure the name plate braket extends past the insulation thickness. If the vessel is partially inside a building try and put the name plate inside.

Another tip is to obviously try to make them easy to read, meaning that the operator does not have to climb up or over items to gain access to the name plate. I generally try to keep them at around 5'-6" above the floor or surfance the operator would be standing on.

Larry617, Canada

To add to Larry617's points, nameplate should be permanantly attached to the vessel so that it cannot be removed without wilfull destruction.

ctually, you are not allowed or you can not replace the name plate unless the mfr and their AI agree if it is a new vessel and corrections are to be made before shipping,
else you will need a Contractor with R stamp to initiate the procedure.
GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back