Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Naming problem (hydraulic transmissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerhardf

Electrical
Sep 1, 2003
Hello all,

I've got a problem with naming of hydraulic transmissions. This is in the context of a manual for an aftermarket item that works with both automatic and manual hydraulic transmissions (or maybe better, what I call "automatic and manual hydraulic transmissions" [smile] -- see below). I usually write most of our documents, even though I'm neither a transmission guy nor a native English speaker. Usually, it works out just fine, but with this we're not quite clear about the correct terms.

What I call an automatic transmission is a transmission that shifts automatically, and in the same vein a transmission that does not do that I call a manual transmission. (Of course there are cases where that is determined more by the controller rather than the transmission, but I'll stick with the simple things for now.) For me, a hydraulic transmission is a transmission that uses hydraulics to control gear positions. I'm not sure I'm correct with either of these, but just so that you understand what I'm talking about.

I started out talking about exactly what I wrote above: automatic and manual hydraulic transmissions. But my tech guys tell me that when I talk about manual hydraulic transmissions, people might not really know what I'm talking about, because the term "manual" in this context is too strongly associated with the H-pattern type manual transmissions.

Additionally, to muddy the waters still more, one of the manufacturers of such a manual hydraulic transmission, McMillin Racing, call their M1 transmission an "automatic transaxle", even though I'd call it a manual hydraulic transmission (or transaxle, but I think this doesn't matter in this context).

Can you guys please help me out here? I need terms for these two types of hydraulic transmissions, terms that make it clear which one I'm talking about and that are both correct and not easily misunderstood by the general public and mechanics. Some of my questions are: Is my own terminology at least correct? Why do those guys at McMillin call their transmission "automatic" even though it doesn't shift automatically? How can I talk about such a transmission (hydraulic, not automatically shifting), making it clear that this is not an automatic transmission (like e.g. the GM 4L60) and neither a manual stick-shift transmission? Oh, and the terms should of course be short enough to be used a few times, not a two-phrase description [smile]

Thanks a lot for any information,
Gerhard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chrysler "Clutch Flight"

I think that was a drag racer conversion that put a conventional clutch in front of a 3 speed Torqueflite automatic. Pop or slip the clutch off the line, and nearly instant torqueflite shifts thereafter.

In Europe and also the UK a manual transmission that has a servo controlled dry plate clutch and servo (whether hydraulic or pneumatic or other )is termed Automated. These are two pedal vehicles and point and squirt not matter if 5 speed or 16 speed. A automatic termed vehicle would generally use a fluid flywheel and hydraulics to change gear ratios you guys in the states know all about these. A manual would be three peddled and also require a hand controlled lever for shifting between the ratios H pattern or sequential. CVT or IVT on the other hand could use torospheres or belts and varying pulleys. Transaxle or transmission surely this is just the inclusion of the final drive into the transmission device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back