Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAS fastener distributors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Composites

Aerospace
May 24, 2023
US
I'm in a really bad need of a fastener distributor that carries NAS1954C10 and NAS1956C13 fasteners. I need around ~500 min of each. I've submitted online RFQs and cold called a dozen places and have come up with almost nothing.

Anybody got a good contact / distributor / manufacturer they'd be willing to share?

Thanks

John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

where are you ? NA ? Europe ??

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Google has them at Boeing ?

General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

JB Composites,
Just to emphasize the answer from 3DDave:
If trying to procure NAS or MS parts, or various other products according to their Mil-spec, always try to track down the QPL with ASSIST. You will find the qualified vendors which currently supply the US government. If you don't know what either 3DDave or I are talking about, then speak up because you may be making your job 10x harder than it needs to be.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Sparweb - I don't know what the QPL with Assist is. Using Google, I found . I'd really appreciate any help.

As a side question, is 52wk lead time usual for NAS type bolts ? I've got a few quotes back and most are calling for 52wks lead time. Come on, that can't be.

In the USA. Working Federal contract. Trying to order fasteners on a drawing... I thought this would be the easy part.

Easy? Nope. These are highly traceable (lots of paperwork) parts with low demand and moving up the schedule over more profitable items is possibly not a priority for them. If you can find the NSN number (National Stock Number) you can search for that as well.

The QPL is Qualified Producers List - companies that have been approved as sources. The DoD used to be very reliable about maintaining them but the US Senate/House decided to hand out the standards and specifications the tax payers paid for to 3rd parties to sell for ridiculous amounts of money. For example MS33537 is the installation spec for helicoil inserts - available free on ASSIST. It is now NASM33537 and costs $60 USD. A typical DoD supplier might have had 5000 of those specs on hand for hardware, et al. Anyway - QPL was a possible shot.

provides searching for NSN based on part number and part number based on NSN.

Searching on the NSN I got back to the for the NAS1954C10 and found lists NAS1956C13 as available.

Not sure if they really have the parts on hand - both go to RFQ to ask.

One big frustration is that the standards aren't parts catalogs. They codify how to get a part matching the requirements. No doubt a notable percentage were never manufactured and another large percentage were only manufactured for a single product.

Best of luck.

does the US military have stock ? Can't see a plane grounded for a year for a bolt !? Maybe borrow for them ? But they'll probably say "no" ... unless your general outranks their's ??
I'm assuming US Federal" means "US military" ?

Are you designing new, or rebuilding someone else's design ?

180ksi is "special" but "surely" there are other 180ksi 1/4" bolts ??

Yes, the issue is that the specs tell you how to make them, but there are hundreds of variations of the finished products.
Your customer should be willing to assist in this search.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

JB:

I'm assuming you've tried all the "big" players. Here's a smaller, local to me, manufacturer that you might have some luck with. FYI: their website is showing NAS1956C13 in stock (qty. 108) and NAS1954C10 in stock (qty. 8). I can't comment on website accuracy. Good news is they're a manufacturer...if they don't have, they might make. Might be worth a phone call...

Anatase Products

Also...regarding QPL's... Does AIAA (copyright holder of NAS specifications) actually maintain QPL's? I know some consensus standards organizations do...like SAE for AMS... But I'm not actually familiar with AIAA doing so. I would also venture to guess that even if AIAA maintained QPLs, you won't find them on ASSIST. Two different entities, with two different "profit" schemes....

FYI... NAS1953-1970 BOLT, SHEAR, HEXAGON HEAD, 108 KSI SHEAR, LONG THREAD is sorta unique... [alloy steel, SStl, Ti]

NAS1954C10 = NSN: 5306-01-170-4566

NAS1956C13 = NSN: 5306-01-250-6711
NAS1956C13D = NSN: 5306-01-211-5003A 'similar-to' is AS3574 and I think there are some Boeing or turbine engine or maybe SPS bolts that would be suitable substitutes... A286/180-KSI or I-718/185-KSI are hard to find [hex or 2XHex]

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back