NAS1097 vs MS20426 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ndThermoLaw

Mechanical
Jul 14, 2005
AU
Hello,

can these be substituted for each other? ie. could MS20426 be installed in lieu of NAS1097 and vice versa?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been looking for allowables for NAS1097AD for a while now. As mentioned here, it can't be found in MIL-HDBK-5. Today, I came across a thread from 2004 in which SparWeb participated in and I believe you were sent Grumman and Douglas test data for this fastener. Is there any way you could share those?
I used Boeing Engineering Liaison Manual, Page 40.2.1. I figured NAS1097 and BACR15CE are equivalent but I could only find BACR15CE allowables in double sheer on Page 40.2.2. Since the material for BACR15BB and BACR15CE are the same, I used the allowable values for BACR15BB! I don't think my values are correct though.
I would appreciate any help you could provide. I've gone the Fsu and Fbru way but I want to be certain what I'm doing is correct.

Thank you.

Damineh

i suspect that BACR15BB are MS20426DD rivets (BB is their usual design code).

for 1097AD i use the table in mil-hdbk 5 (or ar-mmpds-01) for 1097E and derate for shear strength.

The site administrators don't like e-mail addresses typed directly into the forum, so I'll just let you know Damineh, that my hotmail e-mail address is extreeeeeemely obvious.

RB1957, I checked the numbers, and the Grumman allowables are more conservative than de-rating the "E" allowable.

Steven Fahey, CET

Bacr15BB rivets are protruding head MS20470. The main difference between a CE and a 1097 is the fastener coating. The CE designation has been superceded by BACR15GF the specification is different I believe again it is just the finish but it is completely interchangeable with a 1097.

If you used BACR15BB rivet allowables you need to go back and reduce your numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back