Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

National board pv inspector 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmsvessel

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2005
CA
Can somebody sugget how to prepare for the National Board pv inspector test? Any preparation materials suggested? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BOILER PRESSURE - News Items
Job Opportunities Available for Commissioned Inspectors

Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana receives several calls regularly regarding both the qualifications to become a certified boiler inspector and the job opportunities available for those becoming certified. The first response is for the individual to understand the requirements to becoming certified. This starts with an understanding of the point system used by the National Board in determining qualification for becoming commissioned. This point system is outlined in our Boiler & Pressure Vessel Pre-Certification Training brochure located at

Regarding employment opportunities, there are generally four areas that individuals seek employment that have either taken the National Board exam and passed or are looking to enter the inspection career path. These would be:

the insurance industry that hires individuals for both their technical side which includes inspection of boilers and pressure vessel systems or their underwriting side that relates to the loss control/risk management aspect of insurance. For more information on insurance related job opportunities, refer to the Microsoft® PowerPoint presentation located at

Presentation.htm or to the individual insurance companies links at:

the local jurisdictions (individuals state inspections departments) that hire individuals to inspect boiler and pressure vessels in specific jurisdictions. To better understand the jurisdiction job opportunities and to better understand the jurisdiction job description, refer to the article The Next Generation of Inspectors – Where Will They Come From written by David Nichols, located at

You may also want to contact the jurisdictional boiler and pressure vessel chief in your jurisdiction. Your states’ chief can be located at

the owner/operator agencies that have been approved to do inspections.
the companies in various industries such as utilities, petrochemical and manufacturing also hire inspectors to work for them and inspect their own equipment as-well-as boiler and pressure vessel manufacturers.

Ivy Tech South Campus
7999 U.S. Highway 41 South
Terre Haute, IN 47802
800-377-4882

I teach the course at Ivy Tech, the next class starts on May 21st and runs through June 2nd. The Ivy Tech website has good information on it. You may want to get the Pre-Course Study Guide, it will give you an idea of the content. You can also call Becky Miller at Ivy Tech and ask for a course outline.

One of the ways is to contact an Authorized PV inspectors assigned to an insurance company and get a copy of their study program. Such program will primarily deal with power boiler code, piping code, welding and testing code.
Not too much on the unfired pressure vessel code from what I remember when I took the two day exam in NYC and of all place in the Twin Towers back in 1979.
Now some States have additional exams such as Massachusetts administered in Boston. In addition you would have to study pressure vessel code and A/C Mass. code.
Good Luck!

Things Have changed a lot from 1979. The test now covers Sect I, IV,VIII, B31.1 in the math section. Section IX in the welding section. On The general Section it covers Sections I, 31.1, IV, V, VIII, IX and the NBIC. Only one insurance company still runs their own class.

TEAM MEMBER

I agree with Allen Clark, State of Indiana, Area Inspector, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Fire and Building Services, Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Division, Indianapolis, Indiana, United States.

Best Regard, Tokyo Japan

Another option if you don't have a lot of money or company backing is the National Board's online PEC course, covers the first week of their class, but you get the binder at home and send in the answers. Total cost is under $700, no travel, no motels. I did it last year and passed the test in June first try. I would recommend the course. Call Pat Nightengale at the National Board for info. Ivy Tech is good but not all can afford the time and expenses out-of-pocket!

ASME: Always-Sometimes-Maybe-Except
PED: Pain Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back