Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

National Board - stamped Vessels - Re rating , re certification -Procedures .

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB53Mech

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2014
US
Respected Members ,

Need Guide lines : I need to verify / re calculate according to new pressure-temperature condition on few old manufactured Pressure Vessels ( Around 9 Pressure vessels like Interstate scrubber , suction scrubber , suction bottle , discharge bottle etc. )

I do have National Board numbers with each name plates and information on it .

But I am looking for old / original manufacturing drawings. I know , I think 1st I need to contact Manufacturer from that name plate for initial drawings and required information.

But one of my senior engineer told me as those vessels are manufactured so many years ago (in 1999 ) so its hard to get old documents , just to save time I should directly contact on NBI and I need to give them each Vessel's National Board number and information from Name plate and National board can help to get those old Pressure vessels all the drawings and data by paying required applicable fees .

Is that possible to get old drawings and records by such way ?

So, I am trying to find on NBI ( but I cant find proper procedure for it .

Any one can please guide me for such kind of rules ?

Thank you .
Sincerely ,
AB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AB53Mech, since the vessels have a Nat Board number they will be registered with the same. However, in my experience they wiil not have drawings, spec sheets and so forth, they wil have (in the case of Sec VIII, Div 1) the so-called U-1 forms which will give you some design info, some dimensional info, some materials info and the manufacturer.

This will have to be ordered from the NB and are not free, but not especially expensive either.

The original owner may have had drawings and so forth and the manufacturer probably would (if still in business).

My guess, it is going to be tough to get all you want.

Regards,

Mike

You might consider engaging the services of an API-510 Inspector. This is exactly what they are trained and certified to do. Any your first one or two 'vessel evaluations with rerate' are pretty tough. [hammer] i was not the one holding the hammer.

Ask lots of questions during the 510 Inspx & Evaluation, and consider taking an API-510 seminar. Counts as CEU's and is superb for your career - everybody has a few used, beat-up, corroded vessels, and they prefer to keep operating thows 'golden oldies' versus buying new. Evaluations will always be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back