Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Natural frequency of expansion joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibac

Mechanical
Apr 26, 2007
DK
A general question: How do you estimate the natural frequency of an expansion joint mounted on a pipeline?

For a simpel SDOF approximation I can get the expansion joint's stiffness (spring rate) from the manufacturer, but how about the oscillating mass? Any better idea than summing the mass of "some" pipelengths and the fluid inside? Should you perhaps look at the structural wavelength in the pipe material to estimate an adequate length?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Vibac!

Did you had any answer for your thread besides this forum?

Can you explain me how do you calculate the mass on a certain point of a structure and how do you get its own frequency.

Tks

No, I didn't post it anywhere else.
What I had in mind was a simple assumtion of two rigid masses separated by a spring. From the top of my head this gives a natural frequency 1/(2pi)*sqrt(k*m1*m2/(m1+m2)). The masses would be the pipesections on each side of the joint,and k the stiffness of the expansion joint.

There are of course a number of different possible modes that any system can vibrate.

I don't have any experience with expansion joints, but I have a guess.

My guess is that the most likely mode of vibration for typical expansion joint is also the simplest: It assumes that the endpoints are fixed and the fluid doesn't move. So the expansion joint could presumably by modeled as an axially vibrating rod with ends constrained to have zero axial vibration. Mass and damping associated with fluid or attached masses would be neglected.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Expansion joint spring rates are provided so that you can calculate the forces induced by (thermal) displacement.

You're supposed to 'retain' or 'support' both ends of the joint separately, or put displacement limiters around it, or do something similar, so that the joint is _not_ carrying any of the pipe's weight.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Unless, of course, you have designed the joint specifically to carry some pipe weight (with a high lateral spring rate and stout control rods.)

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back