Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Natural gas electric (indirect) heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermax

Chemical
Feb 10, 2003
IT
I have to design a very unusual natural gas heater for a sea platform skid, that shall be structured in this way:

- A jacketed vertical vessel with dyatermic oil inside, heated by an electric resistance, provided by a on-off device;

- A natural gas flux trough the jacket, where the gas has to be heated up to a fixed temperature value.

It seems that I have two kinds of heat transfer process, supposing to keep the diatermic oil temperature at a constant value:

- a natural convection from the diatermic oil side to the jacket wall;

- a forced convection between the natural gas and the jacket inside wall.

I am trying to find an equation system that allow me to size and design this kind of gas heater and perhaps I found it using the Kern books, but I'm not sure.
This is an AGIP standard gas heater, but I was'nt able to find any refereces about it; I wonder if someone knows an experienced system to calculate ad size it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Supermax,
Do you need the answer only for this type of design or substitute will do.
We have a indirect type natural gas heater which maintains the outlet gas temp to the required setpoint.(55 DegC)
in this water is heated by using the same gas in the burners and water is heated up to @70 Deg C and gas is passed through the hot water and heat is exchanged to heat up the gas.
If any further info needs, contact.
HP.

Thank you PremP, but I can't choose a different heater because of the supply specifications that the client gave me.
Thanks to all of you for your answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back