Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Natural Gas Pipe Sizing Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcxdfm

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2006
US
I am working on a project to design an underground closed loop natural gas system with all branches networked together. I am looking for the software for pressure drop calculation and pipe sizing. Has anyone used or heard of any software for this use, or any other advise for the calculations?

Thank you in advance for help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BigInch,

It will be steady state networks since the main purpose of the calculation is to size the piping and make sure there is sufficient pressure available for end users. We might have similar work in the future. Any advise?

Thank you very much.

If you want reasonable sophisticated capability for network design I'd check into B3 Gasworks. I don't use that one (I think it still does not handle transients), so I can't tell you much, but I did review a demo of it a number of years ago and it looked good. Not a bad price either.

There is a downloadable demo now,

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

Thanks to both of you, Biginch and Ashereng. I will share my experience for the one I will eventually choose and use for my project.

For larger network i would recommed pipeline studio from energy solutions. This system is very scalable and can be GIS integrated and so fort (at an increasing heavier price tag of course :) )

It actually the old TGnet and TLnet.

Best regards

Morten

Although no multiphase (if comparing to OLGA2000). But it good, stable and fairly easy to use.

You can buy the liquid and the gas license separately.

Best regards

Morten

I was asking almost the same question in the "material Engineering other topics" forum, and the answer I got were quite surprising, something like, "you want to replace engineers by software" !!!

[evil]

There is a slight difference in the questions that I see. On the Material Engineering, you we looking for a fabrication of parts that will hold pressure and be of a human safety concern. This is like asking to have heart surgery, you need a professional.

In this thread you are asking about a system to design for capacity, if you are wrong there is no threat to human life.

As for software replacing Engineers, hey GIGO, it still takes an experience engineer to filter the input and output. I have lots of stories where Jr Engineers and Laypeople didn't understand what the program printed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back