Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Natural gas safety valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

rika kose

Chemical
Jun 11, 2019
NL
We are going to install a new gas steam boiler.
The gas supplier cannot supply any information about the safeguards on their side.
We need to install the safety device upstream the steam boiler.

Is there certain design standard?
Can we just install a safety shut-off valve? Is that sufficient?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you mean gas fired steam boiler.

You would normally design to either ASME B 31.1 or B 31.3

You need to look at the design package as a whole so no one can answer your question, but you must include a reliable device to turn off your gas supply as part of your boiler control package.

BTW the response "The gas supplier cannot supply any information about the safeguards on their side." is unacceptable IMHO. I would be contacting the suppliers Health & Safety director to complain or report them to whatever regulator you have in your country. As it stands that is not an acceptable action.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks for your reply :)

The response from gas supplier is not acceptable for sure. But it is very complicate situation in this country. The supplier who charges money is not resposible for the hardwares directly. I made a lot of calls and finally got a techinician who knew basically nothing. Still waiting for answers from their engineers hopelessly.

Some questions:

I have been involved with the design, specification and purchase of packaged steam boilers for many years

First: What exactly do you mean by "We need to install the safety device upstream the steam boiler ? ... What do you mean by "the safety device"? ... do you mean on the fuel gas system, the steam systems, or on something ele ?

Second: Is this a brand new or used boiler ? .... What code of construction and what country will this be installed in ? .. What type of boiler ? Is it watertube, firetube, electric or what...???. If it is a used boiler, what kind of fuel system exists ? If it is a new boiler, does this mean you are buying a boiler without any kind of fuel control/fuel safety system ?

Third: Here in the West, we cannot purchase or operate a steam boiler without a specifically designed and certified combustion safety system. Virtully all of the large boilers in the US must have fuel safety systems that comply with NFPA-85/8501/8502

Fourth: Will this boiler operate in Pakistan ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back