Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rise in gas pressure at abrupt valve closure 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iomcube

Chemical
Dec 11, 2015
TR
In this p&id there is a constant feeding of H2 into the circuit. Now only one consumer of H2 gas exists i.e acid furnace, which requires a bit pressurised H2 gas. If there is any tripping at the furnace at that instant vessel pressure will increase abruptly beyond mentioned setpoint. How can we estimate that pressure rise?

I know volume of vessel & holdup volumes of piping as well. I can convert mentioned feed volumetric flow to furnace to mass flow & thereby can calculate rise in density of gas in the vessel for instance. Perhaps packages like CoolProp (or any equation of state package) can back calculate rise in pressure at that density (assuming T remains same)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Methinks there should be a capacity - high pressure controller on this PD compressor which kicks back gas in excess of furnace-reactor demand back to suction. This is, in the absence of suction unloaders on the 202kg/hr PD compressor or VFD or other similar capacity control within the compressor itself (I suspect there IS, but not declared so far). And further, there ought to be another high pressure controller on compressor suction which resets current - amperage consumption at the electrolyser(or future electrolysers) to keep H2 production below the setting of the high suction pressure controller.

I think a proper P&ID would have saved us a lot of time and effort ...

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back