Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Natural GasTransportation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lhenrique

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2005
BR
Hi Fellows,

In our company we’re trying to develop a new way for natural gás truck transportation due to the lack of pipelines in our country

I’d like to know if there’s in your countries any restrictions in transporting natural gás at 250 bar in in truck mounted vessel instead of use small cylindres?

What are the codes and standarts ( ASME, API,DOT etc) concerning to?

Best Regards

Luiz

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Begin your search at
Liquified petroleum products such as propane and butane are regularly transported by truck. The pressure and temperature requirements are much kinder for propane and butane than methane. Some other gasses are transported in narrow high-pressure cylinders. Nitrogen comes to mind but some other gases may be handled in this manner.

The US Department of Transportation (DOT)regulations may be found by searching for the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). I think that title 49 may be the prefix for the CFR numbers that cover transportation of hazardous materials. Search for the term HAZMAT while drilling through the web. If permitted the regulations would include inspection of any such vessels; inspection of the vehicles including tires etc.; qualifications of drivers; qualifications of inspection stations, etc.

In addition to ASTM and ASME codes and standards look into standards from the Compressed Gas Association (CGA). The European agencies may publish standards on the web. I obtained AIGA and EIGA standards for oxygen on the web.

I would recommend pipelines for high pressure gas transportation. What country?

Thanks JLSeagull

I'm in Brazil. The country area the company I work for got a natural gas well is not provided with pipelines. To build a new one is very expansive and time-costing to get enviromental permissions.

We intend to spread out this natural gas all over the gas stations to supply vehicles, that's why my question carrying it in narrow cylinders will be hard.

Some domestic petrol stations in the states carry CNG or compressed natural gas. I lack any exposure to this. Perhaps this requires refrigerated trucks to avoid the high pressures but I know nothing about CNG.

I've only seen it done at ambient temperatures @ around 3500 psig using a bank of maybe 24, 12" diameter pipes with end caps and all manifolded together and skid mounted on a tractor trailer. Then again, maybe I've seen it done another way but didn't recognize it was NG.

Venezuela uses tons of CNG in busses all over the place. I'm sure all of it doesn't get delivered to the bus fueling terminal by pipelines. Maybe someone from Venezuela can tell us how they do it.

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

Here are some useful starting grounds for bulk tansport of LPG in the UK (LPG is used as a vehicle fuel but also for domestic use for people not on the natural gas grid):

(Code of Practice 2 - Safe Handling and Transport of LPG in Road Tankers and Tank Containers by Road looks like it would be useful)

seems to summarise the current UK regulations for bottle transport

Theres also a British Standard/ Euro Norm on LPG tanks: BSI EN 12493 "Design and Manufacture of Welded Steel tanks for LPG road tankers".

In the US LNG is transported regularly from manufacturing site to customer's crogenic tanks. The system is very much like liquid nitrogen. The regulations can be found in the 49 CFR hiway DOT.

Fellows,

I means compressed natural gas and like DrillerNic said it's to be used on vehicles as fuel.

That's why I need to carry in large cylinders straight our customer (gas station, plants, factories, etc). We have to have the higher volume possible to be competetive in this market in my country

In that case, include a link to your primary post to direct responses there.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back