Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NBR air trap problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JULIAN NGUYEN

Industrial
Aug 19, 2019
VN
I am trying to produce NBR (medium ACN)anti-fatigue mats which hardness is about 50 shore A. However there are many scars on its surface. Would anyone here help me to get it resolved ? Thank you very much
My formulation
Nitrile 100
Caco3 40
Carbon black N330 10
DOP oil 10
6PPD 1.5
Paraffin wax 2
Zinc Oxide 5
Acid Stearic 1
Sulfur 1.5
MBTS 0.8
Btw, When i used NR, this issue doesn’t appear

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3b6e2a22-1b6d-43d1-9d95-5b9e928df86e&file=19816B5D-5CE2-4B17-B133-7F1B4C1250C9.jpeg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your reply.

Do you apply "bumps" to the press as it closes?
By bumps I mean rapidly opening and closing the platens a number of times to allow any trapped air to escape before full pressure is applied to the mould.

forumtowers.com

You could try adding some talc or similar powder to your mold release. The surface texture will create a path for trapped air to escape, or at least spread out over the mold surface. More pressure will also help.

The air is trapped due to the tack of the rubber as it spreads over the mold. Degree of mixing and type of rubber will affect that.

Thank you for your support Graham
I apply bumps several times when The mold is closing but there is still the same issue. It has never happened when i use NR compound

Your viscosity at molding temp may be less than optimum for good molding. If you have a higher viscosity grade of NBR (e.g., 3360), try that.

How was the blank material being put inside the mould? Maybe if you can make the blank thick could help this issue. Bumping 5 time, Gap 1.5.

“I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.”-Albert Einstein

scarring can be caused by air retention or low NBR compound or high viscosith raw material.
If air is trapped, increase the viscosity of the NBR (47-52 Mooney 100C recommended), if there is a lack of pepetization on high viscosity rubber , add 4 phr of zinc stearate when processing the rubber.

We have had similar problem with the NBR - we solved it with changing the base polymer - instead of PERBUNAN 3345 we used KRYNAC 2850 and the results were surprisingly good.

Yes we know that the oil resistance is reduced - but this was not very important for the final product in our case, tests have been made and the results were ok. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back