Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NCEES Records thread784-413550 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JedClampett

Structural
Aug 13, 2002
US
I've been one of the more bitter NCEES participants when they changed their record keeping system. It seemed to be poorly explained, poorly thought out and poorly implemented system.
Well, a few weeks ago I got a postcard from NCEES (basically, the most information I've got from them in years) asking me to sign in to the new system and give it a chance. It didn't work right off, but I sent a help request to their desk and it got straightened out pretty quick. Apparently, I'm back to the NCEES living. I've got no actions to do until and unless I need a record. What hell I have to go through then is not explained, but I see real progress.
Anyway, I thought I owed them a compliment as I haven't missed a chance to rip them before.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I never had an old record with them, mainly because I did't relish the thought of paying an annual stipend for something I wouldn't use.

I didn't need comity to my second jurisdiction until last year (many many years after my first license), so the new system is the first I've had to deal with NCEES. It wasn't the most efficient process an engineering organization could have come up with, but wasn't too painful.
This week, I need comity again, so I went to have my record forwarded and it tells me that I have a gap in my work experience. WHAT? So I look and my record shows that my current employment ended on the date that I first created my record. I need to explain the gap and my only option was to explain why I was unemployed. NOT GOING TO DO THAT! So I edit the last work experience and change the date to show I'm still employed there. I get a warning that the work experience has to be reviewed again and my supervisor will have to sign off again. No big deal.

REJECTED by NCEES.

Really? How could my work experience have been approved the first time I created it, but by updating the end date it's now rejected?

I made the requested changes and it appears that everything is OK again and will be submitting my record to for comity. I think the review process is a little too subjective, though.

--Scott
www.aerornd.com

Scott, not trying to top you, but when I first submitted my records to NCEES I told them I graduated from high school in June of 1971 and started college in September of 1971. You know, just like thousands of others, I graduated high school in the spring and started college in late summer. They insisted they needed me to explain the gap in my employment. I really didn't think my experience slinging roast beef sandwiches at Arby's and loading trucks at a factory that has been closed for 30 years was applicable or verifiable. So I explained, and they accepted it, without any references. I guess I lucked out.

For what it's worth Jed, I had a similar situation with the end of my Master's degree (May) and start of my first job (September). My record literally says "Unemployed - Ate Chicken Wings, Drank Beer". [lol]

It ain't lying...

I just went thru having to update my records with NCEES. I had to go back to when they were last updated in 2009. The issues I had were in the direct supervisor as my previous supervisors as either deceased, retired, left the company I previously worked for. Fortunately, I was able to get in contact with a previous HR person that knew me at that company but she was no longer but gave me the name of her boss at corporate. A nice email to him and he did the verification.

The other issue I have had is where I did not work under a PE after I had gotten my PE as I was the only engineer there (a small electric utility). The issue becomes after a certain point in one's career it is possible that you are either the only PE or the supervisor. Another issue is if one has to go back a number of years, when one is 60yrs old, most of the previous PE supervisors are deceased or retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back