Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NCEES Structural PE (SE) Examination - Refresher/Review Course Recommendations? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illbay

Structural
May 22, 2001
US
I've been looking over a few of the packages for structural engineering examination (SE) review courses, and it's difficult to determine which of them to spend money on. I'd like some recommendations for people who've attended such courses.

"No one is completely useless. He can always serve as a bad example." --My Dad ca. 1975

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good info here team. Thanks.

I'll probably slate this as my fun project for a year or so from now. Currently finishing my dissertation for my masters in statistics, which consumes the bulk of my free time right now. Plus waiting a year or so gives some time for the new format to have the kinks worked out / better prep materials prepared.

Enable said:
Plus waiting a year or so gives some time for the new format to have the kinks worked out

Viewing the NCEES informational video, seems they’ve spent the last decade working the kinks out. The “PE Structural Exam” is the last NCEES test to move to CBT, meaning they’ve spent many man-years developing the CBT format including coordination with other testing authorities like the MCAT and LSAT.

The preparatory material has been in parallel development and will also be unveiled Nov. 1.

However, finishing up a MS is definitely the determine factor as to timing.

"No one is completely useless. He can always serve as a bad example." --My Dad ca. 1975

Illbay said:
Viewing the NCEES informational video, seems they’ve spent the last decade working the kinks out.

I think "the kinks" come from moving to a closed book format regarding references that are not codes, transitioning the long form essay into a multiple choice format, and moving from 2 day 16 hour to 5 each 4 hour sessions. The "regular" PE exams were a much less drastic change IMO...take the same question bank and transition it from scantron to a computer. While CBT format has been used for the non-structural PE exams for a while now, the PM format of the SE will be a brand new experience for the 2024 examinees. Growing pains and significant lessons learned in the first few exam cycles seem like a reasonable expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back