Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NDE for a FRP tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KernOily

Petroleum
Jan 29, 2002
US
Guys do any of you know how one might go about doing NDE on an FRP tank. This is an atmospheric storage tank used to hold brine, made from glass fiber and resin. It is a factory-made wound tank, of 1500 bbl capacity (63,000 gal) - I think they call those mandrel-wound? Anyway.

My need is to detect flaws in the tank when nozzles are added.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

Thanks!
Pete

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pete, if you don't mind I ask...Is this tank has a liner (metal or plastic) over-wrapped with composite? How big of the opening are your nozzles (metal I believe). What do you want to look at with your NDE (composite? or your nozzle?).

Pete:

The following inspections can be performed:

1. External Visual (physical damage)
2. Internal Visual (physical damage or corrosion)
3. Barcol hardness (indication of chemical attack when compared to original installation)
4. Ultrasonic thickness (thickness if inner surface is no longer present, which is not likely in a brine tank requires equipment specifically designed for FRP- high power, low frequency and TVG)
5. Acoustic Emission (Listening to crack/damage propogation ASTM E1067-01)
6. X-Ray (thickness if innersurface is no longer present or internal access can not be made)
7. Core sample (thickness and attack of glass using SEM.
8. Thermography (looks for differences in wall thickness in vessels not operating at ambient conditions).

There are several good third party inspectors like Todd Bishop (
Gerald

Pete

Our company (Evisive) provides microwave NDE services for FRP materials with excellent results. Please check out our webite at:

We have published a series of articles in Inspectioneering that provide examples and explain our process.

If you would like further information, please contact me at:
225 329-5815 and I would be happy to forward information for your review.

Thanks

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back