Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Near graduate seeks to distinguish himself from others 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatra

Electrical
Jul 21, 2008
US
Hey everyone!

I've nearly graduated for the Ecole de Technologie Superieure in Montreal, Canada and i was wondering where how can i distinguish myself from other graduates.

1- Get more technical knowledge through books
2- Attend seminars, learn and hope to meet my ticket to the corporate world
3- Use linkedin or such community websites to find old lab partners and ask them if they have job openings
4- go to job fairs and do as #2
5- do nothing, as it is luck (or curse) that will push me in the right direction

Non-electrical engtipers are welcome to throw in their 2 cents

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Other than what is noted in the OP, I would keep in touch with the profs who liked my work (the firm I work for keeps in touch with some profs at nearby universities).

Also express a willingness to move to Alberta or British Columbia. You'll be beating prospective employers away with a stick.

Experience > GPA IMO. I personally know students in the 3.9-4.0 GPA range who for the life of them cannot find work.

I'm ranked 28/28 in my class but have a job waiting for me in May with pay (salary+signon bonus+relocation) in the top 50%. This is because I sweated blood in internships and research positions and have the recommendation letters to prove it. I also worked 5 years in retail before college; soft skills are important today too.

I suggest polishing your resume and really researching the company before talking to their recruiter.

Take a part-time job in the engineering offices. You can make friends among the faculty. Seek other jobs on campus. This is where your professional references will come from.

Do something original for your thesis. I had a team that built a flat-plate pneumatic feedback valve as opposed to the usual spool valve. We ran performance no-load and under load. The report was written in a very frank and informative manner, and we got an A. The prof was the kind who routinely gave C's. I took the report to interviews. Another project was writing a paper for the ASME student club. Got 2d place. This was presented at a monthly meeting.

My references were bullet proof when I came up against some characters who were trying to terminate my career.

At work I introduced the methods of fracture analysis in welded structures with defects. It got widespread attention. It was a good example of a new MME transferring good ideas to his mentor, me.

zoner82,

I believe that if you, "sweated blood in internships and research positions" but instead were 1/28 (first in your class) you would have pay (salary+signon bonus+relocation) in the top 10% instead of average compensation.

GPAs are only important to you if you have a good one.

Sinatra,

Perhaps you should make a personal list (not one to post here) of the things that make you different than other graduates. Review the list and select all of the items that are positive and set them aside for a bit. With all of the negative stuff, if you cannot change it, remove it from the list and don't think about it again.

Focus on those things you believe are the most salable. From those work on what you like to do that would make you more competitive. Work on moving some of the things that are negative into being positive. Rate your efforts such that you will be getting the biggest return for your effort.

Sinatra,

On paper:

Have you done any volunteer work ever? How about personal projects (School related or not)? Have you ever run your own small business? These things can be very distinguishing for a new grad.

On the interview:

I cannot express the need for a positive attitude. Negativity is contagious and is hard to steer away from once the conversation shifts that way. Don't get cocky, stay humble. Remember to smile warmly and give a firm handshake. Don't give the interviewer any reason to be pessimistic.

Good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

Might be beating a dead horse here, but...

You're a Canadian electrical engineer like me (I'm finishing in April 2009 from UVic). You already have a lot on US engineers and the ability to travel abroad if you want to. Our engineering programs are extremely consistent and well respected.

That being said, you're in some good competition within Canada so you have to give yourself all the chances you can. Here's some tips:

- If you haven't already, get involved with engineering student government. You'll learn organization and a bit of leadership (how easy is it to have a social life, do six courses, get good grades and be the president of a society?)

- You're obviously not in a co-op program like me, so I don't have much advise here. I don't even know the meaning of the term "unpaid internship". I'll never work for free.

- Go to your professional society meetings and seminars (It's called APEG BC here in BC, not sure the name of it in Quebec). Not for any information there, but just to chat with engineers and make contacts. You'd be surprised who goes to those things and who's *kinda* a big deal.

- I don't know your personality, but being outgoing and friendly will put you miles ahead in an interview. Remember names. Tell the truth and don't be afraid to answer questions with relevant stories that may tell them you're human. It's important when they ask you "What are your weaknesses?" that you know how to identify them and how you aim to correct.

- Don't bother with doing extracurricular learning right now. They know you're smart. The real test is learning fast and effectively, which will come in the job. You're wasting your time getting the A instead of the A-, in my opinion (I have a B+ average).

- I like the suggestion of working in an engineering office. Email or call a local interesting office and say you'd like to speak to them on the phone or in person about what they do. Put your foot in the door before they post a job. Even if it's not for you, you now know. If it is, your name will pop out on the job lists. Bring a resume if you visit an office.

- Most importantly: you're an engineer, don't ever forget that. You've spent years learning how to analyze problems in a specific way. Use what you know.

I hope this provides insight. This information has come to me after plenty of regional and national conferences, four co-ops and dealing with event sponsors and speaking to corporate reps.

The debate on grades is covered in more detail elsewhere. Suffice to say there are places that want the straight A's, others that are more interested in the schoold than the grade and others that care more about how you'll fit plus a whole bunch that are a mixture of the above & things I've forgotten about.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

I guess it comes down to whether you want to work for a company that cares only about grades. I think there's a whole host of egotistical management issues that would become very apparent very quickly.

If my grades aren't good enough for a company, then that company isn't good enough for me.

Sinatra

The sad truth is that grades do not necessarily mean it all. Their are individuals that have lots of drive, spark, etc. and are a better fit for real world application, and may not have had stellar marks for a variety of reasons. Graduation is a great achievement in itself and should not be belittled; however the next step will be/could be of big time relevance in your future.

I would think contacting potential employers, (far and wide, even if no position is available/posted) before you graduate, and trying to land with a group that has lots to offer a newbie (opportunity to learn, grow, diversify) is where your head should be.

Letting them know you are hungry, and understand now is when the real work begins, should help.
Training from old souls.... priceless. Being mentored from the right folks is something you should be in search of.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back