Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC reference for bringing existing installations up to code 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacon4life

Electrical
Feb 4, 2004
US
What sections of the NEC state requirements for when you have to bring existing wiring up to current code? I just have a hard copy and the table of contents and index aren't very helpful.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As an electrical inspector, Wareagle is correct. What inspectors usually ask for is GFCI protection on bathrooms and outdoor receptacles and the kitchen circuts, also GFCI protection on the old Two wire plugs (the ones with out the ground plug)and Smoke and Co Detectors, Basically anything that is a reasonably upgrade to safety...but we do not ask you to gut the place and start over.

A while back I had been told that any circuit that is touched would have to be bought fully up to current code, with the implication that sometimes a bad installation is left as is because fixing the horrible parts for a few dollars would also mean having to fix the barely wrong parts for many many dollars. It seemed strange at the time, but also beleiveable that codes/laws could be written that way so I didn't think about it much more.

Recently I came across some remodeling work was not definitely not up to code (splices made with just electrical tape and not physically protected). Thus my interest in understanding NEC implications for the rest of the electrical system this problem is addressed.

Talking with the local inspector is on the 'to list'.

You asked about bringing things up to current code, but some of the existing installations you mention sound like they didn't meet the code in effect at the time of their installation... That is a slightly different question.

Yes, that is what Chapter 34 and Chapter 1 of the IBC requires - if you alter a circuit, that alteration must meet the current code unless you have a practical difficulty.

Now finding an old code violation can vary from state to state. In most states, code violations are misdemeanors which have relatively short statues of limitations - like two years in Ohio. If the violation is past the limitation, the building official will not have authority to require its correction unless it is an imminent danger. An improper splice, personally, I would consider an imminent danger and I would order its correction if the owner/tenant/contractor refused to correct it. Most good electricians I have worked with in the past would strongly recommend to the owner that it be corrected or, if they are making enough money on the job, just fix it and eat it.

Don Phillips

As Donphillips said, requirement for bringing existing facilities to Codes are in Building Codes which then references NEC.

It is generally limited to the area you are disturbing. You got to read codes and if still have quesitons, it needs to be reviewed with appropirate authorities having jusrisdiction.

Work that didn't meet code at the time of installation may be an indication of work done without a required building permit. That may cause additional liability for making corrections. It may also cause difficulty completing some future sale of the property.

We run into this question a LOT working in older hospitals.

How far "back" into the existing electrical system do I have to "fix" because of a new addition or renovation project?

I always try to have a meeting with the local Authority Having Jurisdiction (usually the local electrical inspector and/or the plans reviewer) on site to go over the situation with them and seek their input. I explain the existing system and its deficiencies, then explain our upcoming project and how it impacts the existing system, and lay out my approach.

Then, after all is said and done, I do whatever they say.

But, usually, a well laid out plan is well received by most AHJs.

Good luck.

Yeah, hospitals have huge problems with this due to the newer requirements for critical power distribution systems. It's amazing the huge electrical upgrades that can be triggered by what would otherwise seem to be a rather small hospital remodeling project.

CJCPE brings up a good point about selling the property. Some townships require inspections (and possibly upgrades) as a condition of any home sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back