necessary condition for electrical engineerin in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTest

Electrical
Nov 18, 2012
EE
Hi,

I have a few questions about UK. It´s very hard to find correct or straight answers from internet, so it would be very helpful if someone could asnwer or guide me closer to my questions answers.

1. what kind of electrical-competence I need to offer a building automation solutions, and how many diffrent competence does UK have. Further more, where and which criterias to I need to perform these exams?(In my homeland I have highest competence A-competnece, which requires at least 2years of experiance in high-voltage work , a degree + licence exams).

2.Where can I get a license to operate as a service provider in the field of energy, or diffrent certificates?

3. Some basic tips about UK-s business: where can I register my company, in what criterias....

4. Which ministry is working on/out energy regulations?

Main question is where to get these kind of sertificates and competence license.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not really sure exactly what you are asking (I guess English isn't your first language). There are very few exams you can take beyond university degrees to show competence as an engineer whilst you can become a chartered member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology that doesn't imply that you are competent in any particular area only that you are capable of working as a professional engineer generally. There are qualifications that electricians can take.

Many engineers set up as consultants/service providers, they rely on word of mouth (so their reputation) to get work rather than take qualifications to prove what they can do. Some work can be picked up through agencies, so you would register with an agency who would then put your name forward if your skills matched those required by a company who used that agency.

Companies are registerd at Company House.

The Department of Energy and Climate Change is responsible for the Electricity Supply Industry.

LSpark:" There are qualifications that electricians can take."

Can you tell me where can I get electrician qualification? which institute or organization is dealing with qualifications?

There's a rather huge difference between an electrician and engineer; what exactly are you looking for?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

my intrest is to designing power and low-current systems as well as developing and implementing building automation solutions, so what kind of qualificatopn to I need to work on that field? Does UK have diffrent qualifications to electrician and electrical enegineer?

I´m trying to figure out how eletrical competence system is built up in UK.
for example: A-,B-,C-,D-competence, in which A-competence is the highest and requires a degree and experience, and D-requires only experience(but has limitations on which level you can work).

You're describing what sounds like an engineers job to me 'designing power and low-current systems as well as developing and implementing building automation solutions'. As the others have said for an engineer the normal route is to study for an under graduate degree then work for a company as a junior engineer to gain experience whilst following the route to become a chartered engineer with the IET. I know a lot of engineers who started on the electrician/craftsman route, some of them did degrees as mature students but not all (I'm work in the electrical supply industry). The ones who haven't done a degree are much less likely to progress to the higher levels.

I've never come across anyone who has just studied then started as a highly competent engineer, it takes time to build up the experience. Most engineers study for a masters degree then get a graduate level job, work hard then after a few years look for their next career move.

Most engineers study for a masters degree then get a graduate level job

Most? I may have been in a fairly sheltered industry for the last 25 years or so, but I could realistically count on one hand the people I know in industry who completed a Masters before going into a working role. I've known quite a few who have gone down this route after a few years in a job, but it's certainly not the norm, at least in Australia.

Most of our recent recruits now have masters degrees as the IET set the minimum requirement for becoming chartered as a master degree. Going back a few years the requirement was a bachelors degree and that was the norm when I joined the industry and is what most of the older engineers have.

So sorry, I should have qualified that to say most new graduate level engineers in the UK have masters degrees.

sibeen, your experiences are quite likely location dependent. You're correct, in Australia most don't have a Masters Degree, but theres some sort of equivalence issue that means that a lot of the UK engineers end up at Masters level. I know of at least one engineer here who had to complete a Masters degree in order to be eligible for state registration in Queensland.

As for the OP, I'd be looking at the international registration options, I believe its called IntPE, and both IET and IEAust are parties to the process, as most likely are other engineering associations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back