Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a control valve that can resist wear from abrasive slurry

Status
Not open for further replies.

anekial

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2008
US
I need to find a control valve that can resist wear from abrasive slurry.
Currently the 6"X8" angle valve that is used for the application wears out every 5 months. We have experimented with ceramic lined 10"X8" angle valves, but they are easily broken, and very expensive. One valve costs US$23,000.00. Clarkeson valves were also tried, but the rubber continued to be eroded and blocked the lines.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you provide more details of the slurry? All have a bearing on wear rate.

Solids Material
Carrier Fluid
d85 size of solids
sharpness or smoothness of solids
concentration Cw, Cv
Material density
Flow rate
Exit velocity
Temperature

Good comments, Stanier. I would have added Inlet pressure and outlet pressure to the list.

It was a very nonspecific question.

One valve would be right for 30 psi flyash slurry (Pinch valve) , but an entirely different one would be necessary for cat-cracker letdown ( Angle, extreme hardness venturi tailpiece, such as Valtek Survivor). Yet another valve would be best for potato-peeler service.(Eccentric Rotary plug, shaft Upstream)

The only hint that the application might be high-temperature/pressure is that they are using a 6 x 8 angle valve and that ceramic has given them limited success.

brittle failure of the ceramic lining can be due to the mechanical and/or thermal shock resistance of the ceramic lining. Alumina will readily fail, whereas partially stabilized zirconia will exhibit some ductility with little loss of abrasion resistance.

A rubber/soft material pinch valve maybe?

If hard doesn work, sometimes, soft does?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

anekial, each anti-abrasive valve you are using costs 23,000.00 USD? what kind of valve looks like? do you have the exact working condition, please share them with people here! As stanier commented above, slurry has many parameters, so please pop up your working condition in detail. Anyway, you can get some information from good luck

We use Fisher “Stellighted – V-Balls” and install them backwards. That way the ball open to the rounded side of the actuator and you get better life from the valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back